Draft Minutes – March 2018



1.         Attendance and Apologies

Cllr.   Russell Pearce – Chair
Cllr. Paul Ashton – Vice Chair
Cllr. David Childs
Cllr. Susan Hall
Cllr. Val Kelsey
Cllr. Ian Shaw

Cllr.   John Sutherell

Cllr.   John Walford

Cllr.   Ann Lambert
Cllr. Stephen Siddall


Apologies for   absence:

County   Cllr. Richard Smith

District   Cllr. Stephen Burroughes
In attendance:

Sharon   Smith – Clerk/RFO

  1. 2.         Declarations of Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary Interests



3.         Public Forum




  1. 4.         Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 1st February 2018 were proposed by Cllr. Val Kelsey and seconded by Cllr. Ann Lambert.  They were approved as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chair.

5.         Matters Arising


a)         The Clerk, referring to item 6c, said the Village Hall Treasurer had asked if the Council’s contribution to the Post Office costs and the recycling bins could be made quarterly instead of annually.  All agreed.
ACTION: Clerk to inform Treasurer.


b)         The Clerk, referring to item 6f, said she had not yet spoken to the Academy Head.  Cllr. John Sutherell offered to make contact.
ACTION: Clerk to forward contact details.


c)         Cllr. Ian Shaw, referring to item 8b, confirmed he had received the frontager’s permission to site a bench in front of their wall and the width of the pavement was sufficient.
ACTION: Clerk to circulate examples of benches.


d)         Cllr. Ian Shaw, referring to item 8c, reported that he obtained a quotation for the new style of notice board for the Village Hall.  The cost is £330 for the posts and panels and extra panels can be purchased to change the events displayed.  The Clerk said District Cllr. Stephen Burroughes had agreed to provide a grant of £600 from his Enabling Communities Budget Scheme.
ACTION: Clerk to accept SCDC grant.


e)         The outstanding actions are detailed in Appendix I.


6.         Councillors’ Meetings and Progress Reports


a)         Yoxwood – it was decided at the AGM to arrange the same events as the previous year.  The lease, which expires in November 2018, has an option to extend for 10 years.
ACTION: Clerk to add renewal of lease to October 2018’s agenda.

of Eastbridge and the Minsmere bird reserve. This despite considerable pressure from County and District Councils, local parishes and our MP.We can only hope that public funding might bring a greater degree of public responsibility.

b)         Sizewell C – the government has issued a consultation paper: National Policy Statement for new nuclear above 1gw post 2025: siting criteria and process consultation.
ACTION: Clerk to circulate.


c)         Village Hall – a New Build Fundraising sub-committee has been established with separate finances.  The monthly meetings of the Trustees committee and the New Build Fundraising sub-committee will alternate.


d)         Church – the PCC have agreed the architect’s proposal which has been forwarded to the Diocesan for approval.


e)         Police – six crimes were reported in the Parish in December 2017: anti-social behaviour at Cullcott Close, a drugs crime at the junction of the A12/B1122, two violence/sexual offences at a parking area near Darsham rail station, a theft at Darsham garage and a burglary at Weavers Marsh Lane.  Cllr. John Sutherell attended the latest Police Locality meeting.  Key themes were thefts of power tools East Anglia wide, burglaries from shops in Aldeburgh and Southwold and supply lines of drugs in the countryside exploiting vulnerable people.  He was also briefed on a Crime Prevention Campaign to raise community awareness and the constabulary are supporting the use of ANPR to target repeat offenders and greatest speeders.


f)          Flagship Housing – Cllr. John Sutherell continues to press for a meeting date and repairs to the fence.


g)         Website – Cllr. Paul Ashton has sourced a free website hosting service to replace the existing village website which is ineffective.  Cllr. Ashton explained the merits and risks of the new service.
ACTION: Cllr. Paul Ashton to circulate new website URL to Councillors for their review.  Clerk to add vote to supersede old website to next month’s agenda.


h)         Work Party – the Village Hall small hall was painted with the help of volunteers.  There was a vote of thanks to a resident who was the driving force behind the project.  Cllr. Ian Shaw suggested that the Council make a donation towards the cost of the paint.  It was agreed to add this to next month’s agenda for consideration.  A resident who regularly litter-picks along the B1122 has offered to lead a team of volunteers to extend this to the parish.  The District Council will loan the necessary equipment at the request of the Parish Council.
ACTION: Clerk to add donation request to next month’s agenda.  Cllr. Ian Shaw to research litter-picking further.


i)          Local Businesses – introductions and support are ongoing.  Cllr. Susan Stride to advise businesses about recent burglaries from shops in Aldeburgh and Southwold.

7.                     Councillor Vacancy
No applications were received for the Councillor vacancy.


8.         Village


a)         The Council agreed there were no objections to planning application DC/18/0660/FUL – dormer and loft conversion at Shelton, High Street.
ACTION: Clerk to inform the planning department.

b)         The Council agreed to respond to Suffolk Highways ‘Community Self-Help’ survey.
ACTION: Cllr. Russell Pearce to progress.
c)         The Council considered organising a village event to mark the 100th anniversary of the 1918 Armistice.  A Remembrance Service will be held at St Michael’s Church in Peasenhall this year followed by a village event.  Cllr. Val Kelsey said a resident was planning a display in St Peter’s Church, Yoxford.  Cllr. Paul Ashton said a church bell-ringing event ‘Ringing For Peace’ has been organised.
ACTION: Cllr. Val Kelsey to forward details of resident to Cllr. John Sutherell.

  1. 9.         Administration


a)         The Council conducted the annual review and approval of the asset register.

b)         The Council conducted the annual review and approval of the financial regulations.

c)         The Council noted the Suffolk Local Code of Conduct.

d)         The Council agreed to appoint the Suffolk Association of Local Councils as internal auditor at a cost of £184.  Proposed by Cllr. Stephen Siddall.  Seconded by Cllr. John Walford.  All in favour.
ACTION: Clerk to contact SALC.

e)         The Council noted compliance with the Workplace Pensions legislation.

f)          The Council agreed to reschedule the Council’s July meeting to 12th July 2018 to allow several Councillors to support a community event.
ACTION: Clerk to update website.


  1. 10.       Finance


a)         The Council noted the latest financial position detailed in Appendix II.

b)         The Council consider tenders received for the grass cutting season 2018/2019.  Cllr. Ian Shaw proposed to reappoint RSC Landscapes Ltd due to quality of service, reliability and cost.  Cllr. David Childs seconded.  All in favour.
ACTION: Clerk to inform RSC Landscapes Ltd.

c)         The Council considered a request from the Cricket Club for a donation to buy dome shaped covers.  Any donations made under LGA 1972 s.137 must benefit all or part of the village.  It was agreed that a few Councillors would request a meeting with the Cricket Club to discuss this further.
ACTION: Cllr. Paul Ashton, Cllr. Susan Stride and Cllr. John Walford to progress.


d)         The Council approved the bank reconciliation for Qtr 3 2017.
e)         The Council authorised the payments listed below.  Proposed by Cllr. John Sutherell.  Seconded by Cllr. Ann Lambert.  All were in favour.

Details Payee Amount Power
Clerk’s   Salary Sharon   Smith £500.55 LGA   1972 s.112
Clerk’s   PAYE HMRC £22.80 LGA   1972 s.111
Contribution   to Wi-Fi Costs (Aug 2017-Jan 2018) Village   Hall £120.00 LGA   1972 s.111


The Chair stopped the meeting at 9:00 pm to seek approval from the Council for a 15 minute extension to continue the meeting.  All agreed to the extension and the meeting resumed.


11.       Correspondence


The Councillors noted the correspondence received between 29th January 2018 and 24th February 2018 detailed in Appendix III.
ACTION: Cllr. Paul Ashton to respond to Huntingfield Parish Council.


  1. 12.       Questions to the Chair


Cllr. John Sutherell mentioned the poor condition of the portakabin in Mulberry Park behind the antique shop.  He asked the Councillors if they could think creatively about the implications for this site as it is a valuable asset to the village.


  1. 13.       Date and Time of Next Meetings


The Annual Parish Meeting and the next meeting of the Council will be held on Thursday 5th April 2018 at 7:00 pm and 8:00 pm respectively.


The meeting closed at 9:15 pm.




Appendix I – Outstanding Actions


Meeting   Date

Item Ref




05/10/17 5d Follow   up with SCDC about hedge cutting at Culcott Close.





7b Follow   up with Planning Enforcement Officer about mobile home at 7 Strickland Manor   Hill. Clerk Update requested on 23/11/17.  Response received 27/11/17 – planning   permission may not be necessary.    Visiting Officer will inspect next week and will respond.  Update requested 04/01/18.






8e Contact   the planning department about the ability of the owner of the Griffin Public   House to change its use without consent under Article 4. Cllr. Stephen Siddall  
01/02/18 9f Send   amendments to cemetery regulations to the Clerk. Cllr. John Walford  


9b Research   the statutory requirements for record keeping to complete the Records   Management Policy Clerk  




Appendix II – Financial Position



Bank Balances

HSBC Community Account as at 2 February 2018


N S & I Investment Account as at 1 January 2018


United Trust Bank as at 31 July 2017




Allocated Funds and Reserves  
SMH Play Area (including interest to 31 Mar 2016)








Bank Balances less Allocated Funds and Reserves



Income – March 2018  
Cemetery – Memorial Headstone


Allotment Association – Annual Rent




Payments – February 2018  
Sharon Smith – Clerk’s Salary


HMRC – Clerk’s PAYE


Village Hall – WiFi Contribution (Aug 2017 – Jan 2018)





Net Balance




Appendix III – Correspondence


a)         Suffolk Constabulary – Newsletter.
b)         Suffolk Constabulary – Next Locality Meetings.
c)         Tree Surgeon re Trees in the Church Yard.
d)         Village Hall Secretary – Fundraising Sub-Committee Meeting.
e)         SALC – GDPR Update – prices reduced by the DPO Centre.
f)          SALC – Weekly Information Bulletin w/c 12/02/18
g)         SALC – Consultation – Crime and Poor Performance in the Waste Sector.
h)         Greenprint Forum – January Newsletter.
i)          Suffolk Coasts and Heaths AONB – Boundary Review.
j)          SC&WDC – Free Consultation Workshop.
k)         SC&WDC – Consultation on Air Quality in Suffolk Coastal.
l)          SC&WDC – Changes to Register of Interests Submissions.
m)        SC&WDC – Authority Monitoring Report.
n)         SC&WDC – Garden Waste Collection Scheme Release.
o)         DEFRA – Bird Flu Awareness & Guidance January 2018.
p)         Resident – Voluntary Litter Picking.
q)         EDF Energy – Sizewell B Newsletter January 2018.
r)          Huntingfield Parish Council – request for joint letter to SCC Highways.

    Add Comment Register

    Leave a Reply