February 2018



1.         Attendance and Apologies


Cllr.   Russell Pearce – Chair
Cllr. Paul Ashton – Vice Chair
Cllr. David Childs
Cllr. Susan Hall
Cllr. Val Kelsey
Cllr. Ian ShawCllr.   John Sutherell

Cllr.   John Walford

Cllr.   Ann Lambert


Apologies for   absence:Cllr.   Stephen Siddall – written and accepted
County Cllr. Richard Smith

District   Cllr. Stephen Burroughes
In attendance:

Sharon   Smith – Clerk/RFO
1 member of the public

  1. 2.         Declarations of Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary Interests



3.         Public Forum


Cllr. Stephen Burroughes report, previously circulated, was noted.


  1. 4.         Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 4th January 2018 were proposed by Cllr. Val Kelsey and seconded by Cllr. David Childs.  They were approved as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chair.

5.         Matters Arising


a)         Re item 12 from the December 2017 meeting, Cllr. John Sutherell emailed District Cllr. Stephen Burroughes about the 30 mph speed limit on the B1122.


b)         The outstanding actions are detailed in Appendix I.


6.         Councillors’ Meetings and Progress Reports


a)         Yoxwood – the Steering Committee AGM will be held at the end of this month.

b)         Cemetery – a burial took place in January and an application for a memorial headstone has been approved.

of Eastbridge and the Minsmere bird reserve. This despite considerable pressure from County and District Councils, local parishes and our MP.

We can only hope that public funding might bring a greater degree of public responsibility.

c)         Village Hall – the trustees discussed becoming a Charitable Incorporated Organisation which can transact business and protect the trustees from repercussions.  A village meeting will be held to discuss options to develop the village hall.  It was agreed that the Council’s contribution to the Post Office costs and the broadband service are to be paid in arrears.
ACTION: Clerk to inform the Village Hall Treasurer.


d)         Church – alterations to the rear of the church are moving forward – the archaeologist’s inspections are complete and the project is ready to go to the next stage with the planning department.  Following a period of high winds, a resident of Old High Road reported safety concerns to the Church Warden and the Tree Warden about the trees on the garage side of the church yard.  This was reported to the tree surgeon who will inspect them.


e)         Police – the online crime map has not been updated since his last report.


f)          Flagship Housing – a meeting with the Council, Flagship and the football pitch contractor is still to be arranged.  The fence had been down for four months but it should be fixed soon.  There had been littering and anti-social behaviour by unknown persons at the play area and it was considered important that residents respect the facility if the Council are to take on its management.  The Clerk suggested speaking to the Head of the primary school to ask if there are ways the pupils can be involved with the community to look after their local play area.

ACTION: Clerk to speak to Head.


g)         Data Protection – the Data Protection Officer has reviewed the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation – the new law will not fundamentally change what the Council does but improvements to its practices could be made, beginning with an audit of the personal data it holds.


h)         Traffic Task Group – the group are considering winding-up as since the SID was installed there have been no Community Speed Watch sessions.  The group have achieved their aims to expand the 30 mph limit, reduce speeding and to request double yellow lines in areas of the village.  The Council had no objections.


i)          Work Party – Mulberry Park has been cleared, wildflower seeds have been scattered in the church yard, a fallen tree was cleared from the path to the allotments and a volunteers painted the interior of the village hall.


j)          Local Businesses – introductions are continuing.


7.                     Councillor Vacancy
No applications were received for the Councillor vacancy.


8.         Village


a)         Following a discussion, Cllr. John Walford proposed to increase the number of grass cuts at Little Street to 12 cuts per year.  Seconded by Cllr. Paul Ashton.  All were in favour.
ACTION: Clerk to progress a request for tenders.
b)         The Council discussed the response received from the County Council regarding siting a bench near the bus stop on the High Street.  Cllr. Ian Shaw agreed to seek the frontagers’ permission to position a bench in front of their wall and to measure the width of the pavement.
ACTION: Cllr. Ian Shaw to progress.
c)         Cllr. Ian Shaw reported that a traditional noticeboard holding A4 paper would not meet the requirements of the Village Hall as it can only be read by pedestrians. Cllr. Shaw described an alternative idea for a large board mounted on posts which could display events in large typeface noticeable to passing traffic and pedestrians.  It was agreed to decline the grant generously offered by District Cllr. Stephen Burroughes and to submit another quotation to him for the new style of noticeboard which is expected to cost less.
ACTION: Clerk to decline grant offer and Cllr. Ian Shaw to prepare quotation.
d)         The Council agreed there were no objections to the County Council’s proposal to dispose of land at Peasenhall Primary School and to use the proceeds to enhance Yoxford and Peasenhall Primary School.
e)         The Council noted the District Council have registered the Griffin Public House as an Asset of Community Value.  The next step is to contact the planning department about the ability of the owner to change the use without consent under Article 4.
ACTION: Cllr. Stephen Siddall to progress.

  1. 9.         Administration


a)         Cllr. John Walford suggested amendments to the draft regulations for Yoxford cemetery.
ACTION: Cllr.  John Walford to email amendments to the Clerk.


b)         The Clerk referred to a draft Records Management Policy, previously circulated.  It was agreed to research the statutory requirements for record keeping to complete the policy.
ACTION: Clerk to progress.


  1. 10.       Finance

a)         The Council noted the latest financial position detailed in Appendix II.

b)         Approval of the bank reconciliation for Qtr 3 2017 was postponed until the next meeting.
ACTION: Clerk to add to next month’s agenda.
c)         The Council declined a request for a donation from the Suffolk Neighbourhood Watch Association as it is Council policy to support causes relevant to the parish and at present there are no Neighbourhood Watch groups.


d)         The Council authorised the payments listed below.  Proposed by Cllr. David Childs.  Seconded by Cllr. Val Kelsey.  All were in favour.

Details Payee Amount Power
Clerk’s   Salary Sharon   Smith £416.88 LGA   1972 s.112
Clerk’s   PAYE HMRC £1.80 LGA   1972 s.111
Clerk’s   Expenses Sharon   Smith £27.90 LGA   1972 s.111
Affiliation   Fee and Rent Jan/Feb/Mar 2018 Village   Hall £78.00 LGA   1972 s.111


The Chair stopped the meeting at 9:00 pm to seek approval from the Council for a 10 minute extension to continue the meeting.  All agreed to the extension and the meeting resumed.


11.       Correspondence


The Councillors noted the correspondence received between 30th December 2017 and 28th January 2018 detailed in Appendix III. 


  1. 12.       Questions to the Chair


Cllr. Ian Shaw asked if the date of the July meeting could be moved to allow several Councillors to attend a community event.
ACTION: Clerk to add to next month’s agenda.


  1. 13.       Date and Time of Next Meeting


The next meeting of the Council will be held on Thursday 1st March 2018 at 7:00 pm in the Village Hall.

The meeting closed at 9:07 pm.




Appendix I – Outstanding Actions


Meeting   Date

Item Ref




05/10/17 5d Follow   up with SCDC about hedge cutting at Culcott Close.  Clerk


7b Follow   up with Planning Enforcement Officer about mobile home at 7 Strickland Manor   Hill. Clerk Update requested on 23/11/17.  Response received 27/11/17 – planning   permission may not be necessary.    Visiting Officer will inspect next week and will respond.  Update requested 04/01/18.




Appendix II – Financial Position


Bank Balances  
HSBC Community Account as at 5 January 2018


N S & I Investment Account as at 31 December 2016


United Trust Bank as at 31 July 2017




Allocated Funds and Reserves  
SMH Play Area (including interest to 31 Mar 2016)








Bank Balances less Allocated Funds and Reserves



Income – February 2018  
Cemetery – Single Plot and Interment


National Savings & Investments –   Interest




Payments – February 2018  
Sharon Smith – Clerk’s Salary


HMRC – Clerk’s PAYE


Sharon Smith – Clerk’s Expenses


Village Hall – Affiliated Group Membership Fee



Net Balance




Appendix III – Correspondence


a)         Shivercasting – TV Programme seeking Grandparents.
b)         SALC – Provision of DPO service for GDPR.
c)         SALC – Weekly Information Bulletin – w/c 08/01/18, 15/01/18, 22/01/18
d)         EDF Energy – Sizewell B Community Newsletter – December 2017.
e)         Churchwarden – Trees in Yoxford Church Yard.
f)          SCC – Future Notification of Road Closures and Restrictions.
g)         SALC – PFK Audit Briefing.
h)         SC&WDC – Accessible Transport Guide.
i)          Chevington Parish Council – researching Wi-Fi in village halls.
j)          Dr Therese Coffey – Newsletter No. 40 – Winter 2017.
k)         SALC – Latest Update from NALC re GDPR.
l)          SC&WDC – Free Workshop ‘Consultation – Getting It Right’ – 20/03/18.
m)        Neighbourhood Watch in Suffolk – donation request.
n)         SC&WDC – Informal Electoral Review Consultation.
o)         Suffolk Accident Rescue Service – report and covering letter.

    Add Comment Register

    Leave a Reply