June 2017

MINUTES OF THE YOXFORD PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
HELD IN YOXFORD VILLAGE HALL
ON THURSDAY 1st JUNE 2017 AT 7:00 PM

 

1.         Attendance and Apologies

Attendees:
Cllr. Russell Pearce   – Chair
Cllr. Paul Ashton – Vice Chair
Cllr. John Sutherell
Cllr. Sam Hunt
Cllr. David Childs
Cllr. Ann Lambert
Cllr. John Walford
Cllr. Susan Hall
Apologies   for absence:District Cllr. Stephen   Burroughes
Cllr. Val Kelsey – written and accepted.

Cllr. Stephen Siddall – written and accepted.
Cllr. Ian Shaw – written and accepted.

In   attendance:

County Cllr. Richard   Smith

Sharon Smith – Clerk/RFO
4 members of the public

 

  1. 2.         Declarations of Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary Interests

 

There were no declarations.

3.         Public Forum

Cllr. Russell Pearce welcomed newly elected County Cllr. Richard Smith to the meeting.  Cllr. Smith said he was pleased to be elected and explained he had not yet produced a formal report as he had not been in office for long.  Cllr. Smith paid tribute to Michael Gower and said he has had a handover meeting from all his parishes.  He is meeting David Chenery from Highways next week.  Cllr. Smith said he has been a County Councillor since 2010 and is now responsible for 12 Parish/Town Councils in Blything which he will do his best for.  He is also a Cabinet Member for Finance and Transformation and is pleased to be the cabinet representative for EDF Energy’s Sizewell C project.

Cllr. John Walford asked Cllr. Smith’s opinion on the County Council’s position on Sizewell C.  Cllr. Smith replied that it was too early to say but he will do his best to keep to the County Council’s response to the stage 2 consultation.  Cllr. Smith said he was aware of the traffic problems Yoxford will face and he would like to bring alternative routes, such as the D2, back into discussion.

Cllr. John Sutherell asked Cllr. Smith about the recent High Court ruling on Hopkins Homes.  Cllr. Smith replied that it is a District Council matter and the County Council will only become involved if there is a Highways issue.  Cllr. Sutherell said there will be a Highways issue which Cllr. Smith accepted but said that it is not the primary matter.  He agreed to speak to the District Councillor.

Cllr. Paul Ashton informed Cllr. Smith about the overgrown skirting on the path from Yoxford to Darsham station.  Highways had planned to cut the skirting back in previous years but this has not happened.  Cllr. Ashton said he will email Cllr. Smith about this matter.

Cllr. John Walford informed Cllr. Smith about the overgrown verges and hedges on a lane leading from Strickland Manor Hill.  Cllr. Walford said the refuse vehicle will not collect residents’ bins from the lane due to the overgrowth.  It was due to be cut last month, and according to the Highways website it has been cut, but residents have reported that this has not been done.  Cllr. Smith said he will drive up there after the meeting and have a look himself.

  1. 4.         Minutes of Meetings

a)         The minutes of the Annual Meeting held on Thursday 4th May 2017, copies of which had been previously circulated, were proposed by Cllr. Sam Hunt and seconded by Cllr. David Childs.  They were approved as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chair.

b)         The minutes of the Extraordinary meeting held on Thursday 11th May 2017, copies of which had been previously circulated, were proposed by Cllr. David Childs and seconded by Cllr. Sam Hunt.  They were approved as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chair.

5.         Matters Arising

a)         Cllr. David Childs, referring to item 4, provided the Clerk with a completed Register of Interests Form.
ACTION: Clerk to send form to SCDC.

b)         Cllr. Russell Pearce, referring to item 5c, said SCDC confirmed they would empty a dog waste bin sited at the top of the footpath opposite Drum House.
ACTION: Cllr. Russell Pearce to fit spare bin.

c)         Cllr. John Walford, referring to item 9a(iv), confirmed he invited Tom McGarry of EDF Energy to attend a meeting but he had not yet received a reply.

d)         The Clerk, referring to item 10b from the April 2017 meeting, reported the LGA 1972 s.137 limit for 2017/18 is £4,701.

6.         Councillors Meetings and Progress Reports

a)         Yoxwood – discussed at item 8a.

b)         Griffin Public House – no update this month.

c)         Cemetery – no update this month.

d)         Sizewell C – no update this month.

e)         Work Party – Cllr. John Walford reported that four residents assembled and cleaned road signs on Strickland Manor Hill.  Cllr. John Sutherell said the contractors had not yet cleared the clippings from the churchyard which have since been added to.  Cllr. Sutherell will contact the contractors again.
Cllr. Russell Pearce offered to clear the clippings if not collected.

f)          Village Hall – no update this month.

g)         Church – Cllr. John Sutherell reported that the Flower Festival was very successful.

h)         Police – Cllr. John Sutherell informed County Cllr. Richard Smith about the out-of-date crime information reported on the police website.  The latest data is from March 2017.  County Cllr. Smith advised reporting this to the Police and Crime Commissioner.  Cllr. Sutherell said there were four crimes reported in Yoxford in March 2017.  In Middleton Road, a public order offence and a violence/sexual offence were reported and in Meadowlands Close, a criminal damage offence and a violence/sexual offence were reported.  A burglary was also reported in Darsham.  All crimes are under investigation.  Cllr. Sutherell said a police locality meeting would be held next week which he hopes to attend.

i)          Flagship Housing – with regard to the playing field, Cllr. Sutherell reported that Flagship are considering possible legal action against the original contractors.

j)          Traffic Task Group – Cllr. Paul Ashton reported that the group held a ‘back to basics’ session and agreed there was still a need for a traffic task group.  They agreed to reduce the frequency of the Community Speed Watch to every two weeks at the three locations where the SID is sited.  A rota will be drawn up for three volunteers to manage the SID.  Cllr. Ashton said the group will continue to monitor the ongoing Highways issues.  Cllr. Ashton informed County Cllr. Richard Smith of the group’s wish to move the beginning of the 30 mph limit on the A1120 nearer to the location of the cemetery but said they have not yet pursued this idea with Highways.

k)         Village Survey – Cllr. Ashton said he emailed District Cllr. Stephen Burroughes about the computer skills course but he had not yet received a reply.

7.         Accounts and Annual Return

a)         The Council noted the Internal Audit report.

b)         The Council approved the Statement of Internal Control.

c)         The Council approved the Annual Governance Statement (Section 1) of the Annual Return.

d)         The Council approved the Accounting Statements (Section 2) of the Annual Return.

e)         The Council approved the Accounts for the financial year end 31st March 2017.

8.         Village

a)         The Chairman invited Mr Chris Michie, Chair of Yoxwood Steering Group (YSG), to speak to the Council about the proposal to purchase an eco-toilet and lease it to YSG.  Mr Michie informed the Council that YSG had chosen a model recommended for an area with a high water table.  The unit is self-contained, powered by solar and wind energy, and will not need to be emptied for approximately two years.

 

Mr Michie said the cost of the unit, delivery and VAT is £5,363.  To save on installation costs of £1,995, competent volunteers from YSG and the village will install the unit though £300 will be required for materials and £360 for a builder for two days.  The total cost is anticipated to be £6,023 though Mr Michie added that unforeseen maintenance costs may arise.  Mr Michie said YSG have raised £3,324 to date, leaving a shortfall of £2,699.  The Council can reclaim £663 of VAT therefore the Council’s financial commitment at this stage would be £2,006.  In reply to a question from Cllr. Sam Hunt, the Clerk confirmed there are sufficient funds in the budget.

 

Following a discussion, it was agreed that the eco-toilet would be made available to Yoxwood volunteers and visitors, Allotment Association members, and cemetery visitors.  Cllr. Sam Hunt proposed that the Council make up the shortfall and allow unrestricted access to the eco-toilet.  Cllr. Ann Lambert seconded.  All were in favour.  Mr Michie thanked the Council on behalf of YSG
ACTION: Clerk to liaise with YSG during purchase.  Cllr. Stephen Siddall to add a clause to the lease.

b)         Due to the absence of Cllr. Stephen Siddall, the discussion about the purchase of a village business advertising sign was postponed until next month.

ACTION: Clerk to add to next month’s agenda.
c)         The Council appointed Cllr. Sam Hunt to liaise with village businesses.  Cllr. Hunt to introduce self and report to the Council any problems or thoughts.  Cllr. John Sutherell noted that residents were contacted during the village survey but businesses were not.

d)         The Council reviewed two quotations to conduct the annual inspection of Little Street playground and agreed to appoint David Bracey of Play Safety Inspections.
ACTION: Clerk to progress.
e)         The Council agreed to renew the lock on the noticeboard and to request Cllr. Ian Shaw to purchase a lock and fit.
ACTION: Clerk to contact Cllr. Ian Shaw.

f)          The Council noted planning decisions taken by SCDC from May 2016 to date.

9.         Finance

a)         The Council noted the latest financial position detailed in Appendix I.

b)         The Council considered a written request for a donation from the Disability Advice Service (East Suffolk).  Their letter stated that DAS had dealt with 114 enquiries in the past year from the Yoxford Parish Council area.  It was agreed to ask DAS for the extent of this ‘area’ and for a detailed breakdown of how many actual residents of Yoxford used their service.  Cllr. Russell Pearce said the Council can only donate public money to purposes who directly benefit its area and all or part of its inhabitants.  Cllr. Ann Lambert noted that DAS is a subset of the work conducted by the Citizens’ Advice Bureau and Age UK.  It was agreed to ask DAS which other charities it collaborates with.  Cllr. Paul Ashton suggested that the Council should not respond to these requests but should identify and choose to donate to charities which directly benefit the village.
ACTION: Clerk to write to DAS.

c)         The Council authorised the payments listed below.  Proposed by Cllr. David Childs.  Seconded by Cllr. John Walford.  All in favour.

Details Payee Amount Power
Clerk’s Salary Sharon Smith £418.68 LGA 1972 s.112
Clerk’s Expenses Sharon Smith £68.32 LGA 1972 s.111
Grass Cutting (invoice   4462) RSC Landscapes Ltd £309.60 LGA 1972 s.111
Subscription 2017/18 SALC £313.00 LGA 1972 s.111
Donation M&G Friendship Club £100.00 LGA 1972 s.137

10.       Correspondence

The Councillors noted the correspondence received between 29th April 2017 and 25th May 2017 detailed in Appendix II. 

11.       Questions to the Chair

a)         Cllr. Sam Hunt informed the Chair that further to last month’s discussion about providing financial assistance to the Meet & Greet Friendship Club he had identified a grant which may be available from the Pargiter Trust Fund.  The fund provides grants of up to £2,000 and aims to support disadvantaged elderly people to be independent, healthy and socially involved.  Cllr. Hunt said the grant is only available to constituted clubs/organisations however the Council may be able to apply and administer the grant on the club’s behalf.  Cllr. Paul Ashton welcomed the idea but said it would be a significant step up from the club’s current activities.  Cllr. Ashton said it would be good to turn the club into something more substantial, or set up another club, which could benefit from the grant.  Cllr. Hunt said this might address the point about loneliness identified by the village survey.
ACTION: Cllr. Paul Ashton to speak to the M&G Club for their views.

b)         Cllr. Paul Ashton informed the Chair that a resident has reported to him that a large structure, possibly dog kennels, is being built in the garden of the Satis House Hotel alongside a listed wall.  The Council noted that a planning application has not been received from SCDC’s planning department asking for the Council’s views.  It was agreed to contact the planning enforcement officer to enquire whether planning permission is required.
ACTION: Clerk to contact the planning enforcement officer when email address has been received from Cllr. Paul Ashton.

  1. 12.       Date and Time of Next Meeting

 

The next meeting of the Council will be held on Thursday 6th July 2017 at 7:00 pm in the Village Hall.

The meeting closed at 8:24 pm.

 


 

Appendix I – Financial Position

Bank Balances
HSBC Community   Account as at 5 May 2017

£9,346.86

N S & I Investment   Account as at 31 December 2016

£10,747.89

United Trust Bank   as at 29 July 2016

£6,801.22

£26,895.97

Allocated Funds and   Reserves
SMH Play Area   (including interest to 31 Mar 2016)

£1,170.85

Reserves

£6,800.00

£7,970.85

Bank Balances less   Allocated Funds and Reserves

£18,925.12 

Payments – June   2017
Clerk’s Salary

£418.68

Clerk’s Expenses

£68.32

RSC Landscapes Ltd   – Grass Cutting

£309.60

SALC – Subscription   2017/18

£313.00

Donation – M&G   Friendship Club

£100.00

£1,209.60

Net Balance

£17,715.52

 


 

Appendix II – Correspondence

a)       EDF Energy – Sizewell B community newsletter – April 2017.
b)       Nigel Kerridge – change of email address.
c)       SC&WDC – Coastal Partnership East newsletter – Spring 2017.
d)       SALC – LAIS 1398 – Running Free consultation.
e)       SALC – LAIS 1399 – Neighbourhood Planning Act 2017.
f)        SALC – Information Bulletin – w/c 1st, 8th May 2017.
g)       Village Hall meeting – 20 May 2017.
h)       SC&WDC – Local Plan Review workshops.
i)        SCDC – Quality of Place awards.
j)        SALC – Changes to Data Protection Legislation
k)       SALC – LAIS 1400 – Precept Data 2017/18.
l)        Suffolk Police – urge residents to remain vigilant.
m)      SALC – Suffolk Coastal Area Meeting – 19/06/17.
n)       Anglian Water – seeking private pumping stations in parish.

 

 

    Add Comment Register

    Leave a Reply