April 2017

MINUTES OF THE YOXFORD PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
HELD IN YOXFORD VILLAGE HALL
ON THURSDAY 6th APRIL 2017 AT 8:15 PM

 

  1. 1.               Attendance and Apologies
Attendees:
Cllr. Russell Pearce   – Chair
Cllr. Paul Ashton – Vice Chair
Cllr. John Sutherell
Cllr. Ian Shaw
Cllr. Stephen Siddall
Cllr. David Childs
Cllr. Val Kelsey
Cllr. Ann Lambert
Apologies   for absence:Cllr. John Walford –   written and accepted

District Cllr. Stephen   Burroughes

In   attendance:

Sharon Smith – Clerk/RFO
County Cllr. Michael Gower
5 members of the public

 

 

  1. 2.               Declarations of Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary Interests

None.

  1. 3.               Public Forum

None.

  1. 4.         Councillor Vacancy

Cllr. Val Kelsey proposed that Susan Hall be co-opted to fill the Council’s casual vacancy.  Cllr. Ian Shaw seconded.  All were in favour.  Susan Hall completed the Declaration of Acceptance of Office Form.  The Clerk signed as witness.
ACTION: Clerk to inform SCDC of Susan Hall’s appointment.

  1. 5.         Minutes of the Meetings

The minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 2nd March 2017, copies of which had been previously circulated, were proposed by Cllr. Ann Lambert and seconded by Cllr. Ian Shaw.  They were approved as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chair.

The minutes of the Extraordinary meeting held on Thursday 9th March 2017, copies of which had been previously circulated, were proposed by Cllr. Val Kelsey and seconded by Cllr. Ian Shaw.  They were approved as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chair.

6.         Matters Arising

a)         The Clerk, referring to item 8c, read out a letter of reply received from SCC Highways following her report of debris left at the roadside following a road traffic accident.  SCC said they had assessed the severity of the issue and did not feel that any action was necessary at this time.  Cllr. Russell Pearce said the debris has now been removed.

b)         The Clerk, referring to item 11b, said she had written to Blocks solicitors but had not received any reply.
ACTION: Clerk to ensure Blocks received the letter.

c)         Cllr. Russell Pearce followed up the remaining actions in the minutes and those that were not completed are detailed in Appendix I.

7.         Councillors’ Meetings and Progress Reports

a)         Yoxwood Constitution/Lease – Cllr. Stephen Siddall reported that he and Cllr. Russell Pearce met with the Yoxwood Steering Group and resolved the principle of their constitution and agreed the new lease would run for 50 years.  There is an existing lease which has 1 year remaining.  Cllr. Siddall asked for Yoxwood’s lease, and who pays for their legal costs, to be added as a separate item on next month’s agenda for further discussion.
ACTION: Clerk to add to next month’s agenda.

b)         Yoxwood – Cllr. Ian Shaw proposed the Council donate £1,000 to the Yoxwood Steering Group towards their eco-toilet project.
ACTION: Clerk to add to next month’s agenda.

c)         Griffin Public House – Cllr. Stephen Siddall reported that the application to list the Griffin as a community asset with SCDC was completed but needs updating as the pub has new tenants.
ACTION: Cllr. Stephen Siddall and Cllr. Russell Pearce to meet and progress.

d)         Sizewell C – In Cllr. John Walford’s absence, Cllr. Paul Ashton informed the Council of correspondence received from the Joint Local Authorities Group.  The Group wish to continue dialogue with Parish and Town Councils and they asked for topics or geographic situations to be active on.  Cllr. Paul Ashton agreed to respond on the Council’s behalf.  Cllr. Paul Ashton said he will also respond to the Planning Aid England’s feedback survey.  The Council discussed ways of keeping informed about EDF Energy’s activities, particularly the Hinkley Point C development.  The Clerk suggested she ask for permission to circulate the monthly summary she receives from the Theberton and Eastbridge Action Group on Sizewell.
ACTION: Cllr. Paul Ashton and the Clerk to progress.

e)         Village Hall – Cllr. Val Kelsey reported there was a meeting scheduled next week and she will report back on the broadband project next month.

f)          Police – Cllr. John Sutherell reported that there was one crime reported on the online Crime Map for January 2017.  The crime related to violence on Strickland Manor Hill.  There was also reports of two thefts and one crime of anti-social behaviour in Darsham.

g)         Flagship – Cllr. John Sutherell reported that Flagship intend to display notices about the new restriction regarding double-parking at Elmsley Way and he asked if the Council had any objection.  Cllr. Sutherell said that alternative parking arrangements had been provided.  Cllr. Russell Pearce said that if the new parking spaces are full then he has no objection to residents double-parking.  Cllr. Paul Ashton added that double-parking may be necessary in the evening and overnight.  It was agreed that Cllr. Sutherell would visit in the evening and report back.  Cllr. Sutherell also said the repaired fences were holding well and the tall trees in the copse had been cut back.  There was no update on the football pitch.  It was noted that the grass had grown but was still patchy with many stones.

h)         Village Survey – Cllr. Paul Ashton stepped through the following summary of actions arising from the survey and progress to date:

  • Computer Course – SCDC are running a one day course to help people get online safely.  Two pilot courses have been run elsewhere in Suffolk. Yoxford will be early in the rollout.  Cllr. Ashton to progress this.
  • Speed Indicator Device – now operational and other traffic calming measures appropriate for Yoxford are underway or being considered.
  • Wild Flower Meadow in Churchyard – agreed with Norse, SCDC and the Church to make part of the churchyard a wild flower meadow and increase number of grass cuts to the remaining area.  First year of flower meadow in 2017.  Volunteers are needed to help manage the meadow.
  • Improve the Village Website – aim to change the underlying technology to improve what can be shown on the website and make it easier to edit.  Alternative suppliers are being reviewed.
  • Getting Potholes Fixed – raised with SCC Highways and repairs are being made.
  • Clearing Soil, Grass and Weeds from Pavements – from A12 to Darsham Station – planned in by SCC Highways by end March 2017 but not undertaken yet.  B1122 to level crossing – now cleared.
  • Review Play Equipment and Improve Facilities for Teenagers – improvements to football pitch in Yoxwood View ongoing, need to take a strategic view on what play equipment we need and where, and improve the facilities for older children.  A village meeting was held to discuss ideas for older children.  Looking at options to raise funds and buy land.
  • Sizewell – response to stage 2 consultation submitted and will be made available on the Parish Council page on the village website.
  • Relaunch the Summer Fayre – kick off meeting held but only 7 other people attended.  Merging the Produce Show with the Summer Fayre is being considered.  More volunteers are needed.

ACTION: Clerk to upload Sizewell C response to website.

 

i)          Work Party – Cllr. Ian Shaw reported there was a good turn-out at Mulberry Park and lots of clearing was done.  A fallen tree at the Village Hall was also cleared.  Cllr. John Sutherell fetched free plants from the Suffolk Coast & Heaths AONB – Pollinator ‘Pop Up’ and these were planted.  The Council discussed further areas in the village requiring attention.  It was agreed to meet on Saturday 29th April to clear soil and weeds from the kerbside at the Kings Head corner, tidy up around the Jubilee seat and mow some paths through the churchyard.

j)          Bowls Club – Cllr. Russell Pearce and Cllr. Stephen Siddall attended a meeting with the Bowls Club Committee about parking.  The Committee are arranging a meeting with SCDC Planning.

8.         Village

a)         The Council considered planning application DC/17/1090/FUL – to demolish an existing outbuilding and porch and build a single storey extension linked to the main house via a lobby at Willow Cottage, 4 Brook Street.  The application was supported.  It was proposed by Cllr. David Childs and seconded by Cllr. Val Kelsey.  All were in favour
ACTION: Clerk to forward decision to the Planning office.
b)         The Council considered planning application DC/17/1039/FUL – a proposed erection of two detached houses with detached double garages at a site adjacent to Honeycroft, Middleton Road.  The Council agreed it did not object to, nor support, the application as clarification was required about the status of the proposed site and whether it has undergone a change of use.  The Council noted the land has historically been known as a field or a meadow, not a yard.
ACTION: Clerk to write to the Planning office. 

9.         Finance

a)         The Council noted the latest financial position detailed in Appendix II.

b)         The Council approved the budgeted versus actual expenditure and income for Qtr 4 2016.

c)         The Council agreed an annual increase in the Clerk’s hourly pay rate in line with the standard National Joint Council’s salary scales for all local government staff.  The Clerk will remain on SCP 18 with a new hourly rate of £9.392 effective from 1st April 2017.  The Council agreed to review the Clerk’s SCP next month.
ACTION: Clerk to add to next month’s agenda.

d)         The Council considered a request from the M&G Friendship Club for a donation.  Cllr. Val Kelsey said the group is central to what the Council wants to support as it brings together people from the village and the club are doing a valuable job.  Cllr. Paul Ashton asked whether the group are expanding and are they actively trying to address loneliness in the village.  Cllr. Ian Shaw proposed a donation of £100.  This was seconded by Cllr. Kelsey.  Cllr. John Sutherell said the Church donated to the club last year to support their efforts to try to alleviate loneliness in the village, which the village survey identified.  Cllr. Ashton said he would like further information as to what they are actively doing to address loneliness.  Cllr. Shaw asked for a vote to be taken as they had a proposer and a seconder.  Cllr. Ashton asked for the decision to be postponed until next month when the Council have more information.  Cllr. Russell Pearce said Cllr. Ashton made valid points but he held a vote for Cllr. Shaw’s proposal.  Cllr. Val Kelsey and Cllr. Ian Shaw voted in favour but no other members were in favour at this time.
ACTION: Clerk to circulate the group’s annual report.  Cllr. Paul Ashton to find out more information.  Clerk to add to next month’s agenda for further discussion.

e)         The Council authorised the payments listed below en bloc.  Proposed by Cllr. Val Kelsey.  Seconded by Cllr. Paul Ashhton.  All were in favour.

Details Payee Amount Power
Clerk’s Salary Sharon Smith £371.96 LGA 1972 s.112
Clerk’s Expenses Sharon Smith £17.04 LGA 1972 s.111
Contribution to Post   Office Costs Village Hall £350.00 LGA 1972 s.137
Magazine Subscription Clerk and Councils   Direct £12.00 LGA 1972 s.111
Data Protection Renewal Information Commissioner £35.00 LGA 1972 s.111
Website Domain Name   Renewal Zen Internet Ltd £8.39 LGA 1972 s.142
Website Hosting Service Zen Internet Ltd £57.46 LGA 1972 s.142

 

f)          Following a suggestion from Cllr. Paul Ashton, it was agreed to consider alternative website hosting service providers to improve the usability of the village website.

 

  1. 10.       Administration

a)         The Council considered quotations received from Internal Auditors and agree to appoint Heelis and Lodge.  Heelis and Lodge are two qualified Parish Clerks with more than 16 years’ experience in local government and were recommended to the Clerk.
ACTION: Clerk to arrange audit.

b)         The Council noted the LGA 1972 section 137 expenditure limit for 2017/18.
ACTION: Clerk to calculate the Council’s expenditure limit and report back.

11.       Correspondence

a)         The Council discussed correspondence received from a resident who was concerned about vehicles using, and parking on, the public footpath to Yoxwood.  It was agreed to inform the resident that the Council installed a bollard on the footpath to prevent vehicles from driving on it.  Keys for the bollard are held by the Council, the Yoxwood Steering Group and the Allotments Association and they are permitted to allow occasional use of the footpath only to take or remove heavy goods.  It was agreed to write to the key holders to reinforce this and remind them not to use excessively or allow parking on the footpath.
ACTION: Clerk to reply to the resident and write to the key holders.

b)         The Councillors noted the correspondence received between 25th February 2017 and 31st March 2017 detailed in Appendix III.  It was agreed to inform the grass cutter to use his discretion whether to give the grass an extra cut earlier in the season and to ask for another cut later in the season if needed.
ACTION: Clerk to inform RSC Landscapes Ltd.

12.       Questions to the Chair

Cllr. Paul Ashton asked if the tailored training for Councillors is to be rearranged. The Clerk advised that she had received an application for the remaining Councillor vacancy and suggested the training is arranged once the Council is back up to its full complement.  All agreed.

  1. 13.       Date and Time of Next Meeting

 

The Annual Meeting of the Council will be held on Thursday 4th May 2017 at 7:00 pm in the Village Hall.

The meeting closed at 9:27 pm.

 


 

Appendix I – Outstanding Actions

Meeting Date

Item Ref

Action

Responsibility

Comments

2nd March 2017 7g To   send a note to the Police about the short notice for Locality Meetings and   ask about the revised Terms of Reference. Cllr. John Sutherell Ongoing.
2nd March 2017 8a To   ascertain whether a PSPO can be applied for in future, if required. Cllr. John Sutherell Ongoing.
2nd March 2017 8d Draft   an Emergency Plan. Clerk Ongoing.

 


Appendix II – Financial Position

Bank Balances  
HSBC Community   Account as at 3 March 2017

£3,432.35

N S & I Investment   Account as at 1 January 2017

£10,747.89

United Trust Bank   as at 6 January 2017

£6,801.22

£20,981.46

 

Allocated Funds and   Reserves  
SMH Play Area   (including interest to 31 Mar 2016)

£1,170.85

Reserves

£6,800.00

£7,970.85

 

Bank Balances less   Allocated Funds and Reserves

£13,010.61 

 

Payments – April   2017  
Clerk’s Salary

£371.96

Village Hall – Post   Office Costs

£350.00

Clerk &   Councils Direct – Magazine Subscription

£12.00

Information   Commissioner – Data Protection Renewal

£35.00

Zen Internet Ltd –   Website Domain Name Renewal

£8.39

Zen Internet Ltd –   Website Hosting Service

£57.46

£834.81

Net Balance

£12,175.80

 

 

 


 

Appendix III – Correspondence

a)       Planning Aid England – Feedback Request for Sizewell C Support Workshop.
b)       SALC – Suffolk Coastal Area Meetings – 17/03/17.
c)       SALC – The Better Broadband Subsidy Scheme.
d)       SALC – LAIS 1396 – Housing White Paper.
e)       SALC – LAIS 1397 – National Living Wage.
f)        SALC – Routine Play Equipment Inspector Course – 16/03/17.
g)       SALC – Bulletin regarding Annual Parish Meetings and Annual Meetings.
h)       SCDC – Reply to Planning Application DC/17/0717/HDG.
i)        SCDC – Coastline Lite – Spring 2017.
j)        Suffolk Coast & Heaths AONB – Pollinator ‘Pop Ups’.
k)       Suffolk Preservation Society – Archaeology Training – 09/05/17.
l)        Community Action Suffolk – Membership Renewal.
m)      JLAG – Sizewell C Update for Councillors.
n)       SALC – Sizewell A & B Stakeholder Group Report.
o)       EDF Energy – Sizewell B Community Newsletter – February 2017.
p)       RSC Landscapes Ltd – Email regarding Grass Cutting.
q)       Village Hall – Quiz Night – 22/04/17.
r)        SCDC – Flying Exercises at MoD Woodbridge – 1st to 6th April 2017.
s)       SCDC – Notice of SCC Election.
t)        SCDC – Adoption and Publication of Local Plan Documents.
u)       NWG Business/Anglian Water – Welcome letter from new water retailer.
v)       Village Hall – Thank you note.
w)       Highways – Yoxford No Waiting TRO.
x)       UK Power Networks – Newsletter.

 

 

    Add Comment Register

    Leave a Reply