February 2017

MINUTES OF THE YOXFORD PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
HELD IN YOXFORD VILLAGE HALL
ON THURSDAY 2nd FEBRUARY 2017 AT 7:00 PM

 

  1. 1.               Attendance and Apologies
Attendees:
Cllr. Russell Pearce   – Chair
Cllr. Paul Ashton – Vice Chair
Cllr. John Walford
Cllr. John Sutherell
Cllr. Ian Shaw
Cllr. Susan Pine
Cllr. David Childs
Cllr. Val Kelsey
Apologies   for absence:

Cllr. Stephen Siddall –   written and accepted
Cllr. Ann Lambert – written and accepted

In   attendance:

Sharon Smith – Clerk/RFO
County Cllr. Michael Gower
District Cllr. Stephen Burroughes
1 member of the public

 

  1. 2.               Declarations of Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary Interests

None received.

  1. 3.               Public Forum & Planning Application

a)         The Chairman varied the order of business to allow a member of the public to comment upon the planning application for a proposed new build, single storey stand-alone classroom block; to include two classrooms, an activity space and WCs at Yoxford Primary School while the Council considered it.

The member of the public raised two concerns.  The first was about the impact the construction may have on the users of the Village Hall and its car park.  The proposed development is larger than initially expected which will result in more construction traffic.  If large construction vehicles are unable to use the main access to the school from the High Street then they may access the school from the Village Hall car park at the rear.  Furthermore the contractors may use all the available space in the car park.  The member of the public has concerns about damage to the surface of the car park and the danger posed to pedestrians using the Village Hall as there is no separate access.  The residents’ second concern was regarding the proposed expansion of pupil numbers which will result in further traffic from staff and parents parking in the village and perhaps in the Village Hall car park without a licence to do so.

The Council acknowledged the residents’ concerns.  County Cllr. Michael Gower suggested arranging a meeting with the school and Joy Stodart, Senior Infrastructure Office of Suffolk County Council with a view to negotiating and cooperating with the school to secure the best mitigation for the village.

Following further discussions, Cllr. Paul Ashton proposed that the Council support planning application SCC\0012\17.  Seconded by Cllr. David Childs.  All were in favour of supporting the application but to make the following observations:

  • Paragraph 6.5 of the Arboricultural Impact Assessment states ‘construction access will be most likely directly from the main vehicular entrance from the High Street’.  The Council are concerned that this proposed access route will be unsuitable for large construction vehicles as the access is small and in an awkward position.

 

  • The Council are concerned that a considerable number of contractors’ vehicles will park on local roads during the development period.  They acknowledge that any development will cause disruption but they are concerned that excessive congestion will occur, especially during pupil drop off and pick up times.

 

  • While the Council recognise the expansion of the school buildings will secure the future of the school for the village they are concerned that increased pupil numbers will mean a greater number of parking spaces will be required for both staff and parents/carers.  It is unclear where these parking spaces are to be provided.  The Council ask for an assessment to be carried out to ascertain whether the local roads can cope with the impact of the increased traffic and parking and for consideration to be given to the village as a whole.

 

b)         County Cllr. Michael Gower reported that the County Council’s response to the Sizewell C stage 2 consultation was better than he had expected and a strong response was submitted.  There was consensus on the key issues, good cross party support and Councillors at the cabinet meeting understood the local concerns.  The County Council agreed that the consultation document lacked the necessary detailed information to make an informed response.

 

c)         District Cllr. Stephen Burroughes’ report, previously sent by email, was noted.

  1. 4.               Minutes of the Meetings

The minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 5th January 2017, copies of which had been previously circulated, were proposed by Cllr. John Walford and seconded by Cllr. Ian Shaw.  They were approved as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chair.

The minutes of the Extraordinary meeting held on Thursday 23rd January 2017, copies of which had been previously circulated, were proposed by Cllr. John Walford and seconded by Cllr. Val Kelsey.  They were approved as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chair,

  1. 5.               Matters Arising

a)         Cllr. John Sutherell, referring to item 8b, said he informed the PCC about the letter received from the Clerk regarding the overgrown hedge at Donkey Meadow and they will consider it at their next meeting.  Cllr. David Childs said the tenant has been unwell but he is confident the hedge will be trimmed before the PCC next meet.

b)         Cllr. John Sutherell, referring to item 5f, said he spoke with the residents of the lane at the top of Strickland Manor Hill regarding their refuse collection.  Cllr. Sutherell said the new arrangement with various plastic sacks being collected by a smaller truck was working well and all concerned had been very helpful.  So far, there has been no sign that the plastic sacks are being tampered with by wildlife.  Cllr. Sutherell said he will continue to monitor the situation and has asked the residents to let him know if any problems occur.

c)         Cllr. John Walford, referring to item 5a, said he will store the Work Party equipment.  Cllr. Ian Shaw said the arrangements for the Work Party were not working well and needed to be reviewed.  It was agreed to add the Work Party as a standing agenda item and to discuss any work that needs to be done and decide upon a suitable date.
ACTION: Cllr. Ian Shaw to inform the volunteers of the new arrangement.

d)         Cllr. Russell Pearce followed up the remaining actions in the minutes and those that were not completed are detailed in Appendix I.

  1. 6.               Councillors’ Meetings and Progress Reports

a)         Yoxwood – Cllr. David Childs reported that funds continued to come in for the eco-toilet and nine native trees, suitable for butterflies, were recently planted.

b)         Sizewell C -. Cllr. Paul Ashton reported that the Parish Council’s response to the stage 2 consultation would be submitted to EDF Energy tonight and circulated to the previously agreed list.  Cllr. Ashton said he made some changes to the draft due to Planning Aid England’s feedback.  Cllr. Ashton said that now the consultation period was almost over it was important to ensure complacency did not set in and that he was working on a press campaign for release in two weeks’ time.  Cllr. Ian Shaw thanked Cllr. Ashton for all his hard work preparing the Council’s response.  All agreed.

c)         Cemetery – Cllr. John Walford reported that the burial chart is finally complete and is as accurate as possible.  Cllr. Walford circulated the burial chart and Cllr. David Childs took a copy to scan.  Cllr. Walford referred to the planned memorial for the orphaned children buried in the cemetery.  He said they may not all be orphans but may be known children interred in a dedicated children’s burial area and he was trying to clarify this.

d)         Village Hall – Cllr. Val Kelsey said the Village Hall had not met this month but she and Cllr. Michael Gower met with the Trustees to gather knowledge regarding the car park.  Cllr. Kelsey, Cllr. Gower and Cllr. Russell Pearce followed this up by meeting with the Primary School Operations and Estate Manager.  The next steps are to seek further legal advice and meet with the County Council who will be in charge of the upcoming building work.

e)         Church – Cllr. John Sutherell reported that Cllr. Ian Shaw’s work on the wildflower meadow had been helpful but there was further work to be done.  With regard to the work on the little chapel, Cllr. Sutherell said there appears to be tombs under the chapel which need to be explored before further work is done.

f)          Police – Cllr. John Sutherell reported that no new crimes were reported in Yoxford despite a report made to the police about an attempted break-in at the antique shop again.  Cllr. Sutherell informed the Council about a new Public Space Protection Order which will replace the bye-laws which previously controlled anti-social behaviour.  Cllr. Sutherell asked the Council to think about areas in the parish which may benefit from a PSPO before the next meeting.
ACTION: Clerk to add PSPO to next month’s agenda for discussion.

g)         Flagship – Cllr. John Sutherell stated there was no update on the football pitch but the low trees along the line of the fence have been cut back and the broken fences have been repaired.

h)         Traffic Task Group – Cllr. Paul Ashton reported that the SID was operational and was currently on the B1122 where it would remain until the batteries needed recharging.  Cllr. Ashton said the post on Little Street was not where he agreed with the contractor who erected it and he will ask for it to be moved to corner of Donkey Meadow and the children’s play area.  Cllr. Ashton said he and County Cllr. Michael Gower met with David Chenery of Highways to discuss traffic calming measures which might be suited to Yoxford.  They discussed a resident’s request for a 20 mph zone through Yoxford but David Chenery said 20 mph speed limits on A roads were not permitted.  They also discussed various possible sites for pedestrian crossings and crossing refuges and the related costs – £20K for a zebra crossing and £10K for a refuge.  They further discussed moving the 30 mph limit on the A1120 to slow vehicles before they reach the cemetery entrance on the brow of the hill on a bend.  Cllr. Ian Shaw reminded the Council that David Chenery had previously agreed that the verge by the cemetery could be lowered to improve visibility.  Cllr. Ashton to follow up with David Chenery to provide 30 mph repeater signs erected on the posts for the SID.

7.         Public Forum Resumed

District Cllr. Stephen Burroughes arrived at the meeting and apologised for being late.  Cllr. Burroughes reported that there was unanimous agreement to the District Council’s response to the Sizewell C stage 2 consultation and the Council was not happy with transport arrangements in Yoxford.  Cllr. Burroughes further reported that the Hopkins Homes case was being heard at the Supreme Court at the end of this month and he will let the Council know the outcome at the next meeting.

8.         Village

a)               The Council considered contributing to the cost of providing internet access in the Village Hall.  Cllr. Val Kelsey said that BT’s current offer was £36 per month – a cost of over £400 per annum.  Cllr. Kelsey said internet access could allow computer skills classes to be provided, which would address a need identified in the village survey.  She said the Village Hall Committee were saving hard for the new build and asked the Council to contribute to this village amenity.  The Council agreed that they could see the benefits of providing internet access to the new Village Hall as it could offer conference facilities but it was unlikely that there would be a demand for these facilities in the current Village Hall.  It was agreed that Cllr. Kelsey would discuss the matter with the Village Hall Committee to ascertain demand and to ask how much they would be able to put towards the cost.
ACTION: Cllr. Val Kelsey to progress.

 

b)               The Council reviewed the draft Emergency Plan prepared by the Clerk.  It was agreed the document was a good starting point but Councillors were asked to consider any further local skills and resources which could be added to complete the missing information.
ACTION: Clerk to add to next month’s agenda for further discussion.

8.         Finance

a)         The Council noted the latest financial position detailed in Appendix II.

b)         The Council approved the bank reconciliation as at 31 December 2016 and it was signed by the Chair and the RFO.

c)         The Council authorised the payments listed below en bloc.  Proposed by Cllr. Paul Ashton.  Seconded by Cllr. David Childs.  All were in favour.

Details Payee Amount Power
Hedge Trimming (invoice   4299) RSC Landscapes Ltd £660.00 LGA 1972 s.111
Clerk’s Salary Sharon Smith £1,238.31 LGA 1972 s.112
Clerk’s Expenses Sharon Smith £65.94 LGA 1972 s.111
Speed Indicator Device Westcotec Limited £3,780.00 LGA 1972 s.111
Additional Insurance   Premium Business Services at CAS £16.21 LGA 1972 s.111

 

9.         Correspondence

The Councillors noted the correspondence received between 30th December 2016 and 27th January 2017 detailed in Appendix III.

10.       Questions to the Chair

a)         Cllr. John Sutherell, referring to an application recently received for the Councillor vacancy, asked if the Chair intended to meet the applicant for an informal interview.  Following a discussion, it was agreed that the Clerk would arrange a suitable date and time for the Chairman, Cllr. John Sutherell, Cllr. Val Kelsey and Cllr. Susan Pine to meet with the applicant.
ACTION: Clerk to arrange.

b)         Following a request from the Clerk, it was agreed to pay her salary monthly instead of quarterly.

  1. 11.       Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Parish Council will be held on 2nd March 2017 at 7:00 pm in the Village Hall.

The meeting closed at 8:55 pm.

 

 

Appendix I – Outstanding Actions

Meeting Date

Item Ref

Action

Responsibility

Comments

3rd November 2016 5b Once   completed, the burial chart is to be scanned or photographed and saved as a   PDF. Cllr. John Walford 02/02/17 – Cllr. David Childs to scan completed   burial chart.
1st December 2016 7g Ask   SCDC to return the damaged dog bin. Clerk Ongoing.
5th January 2017 5a Mark   the Work Party equipment with ‘YPC’. Cllr. Ian Shaw Ongoing.

 

 

 

Appendix II – Financial Position

Bank Balances
HSBC Community   Account as at 6 January 2017

£9,494.68

N S & I Investment   Account as at 31 December 2016

£10,714.78

United Trust Bank   as at 6 January 2017

£6,801.22

£27,010.68

Allocated Funds and   Reserves
SMH Play Area   (including interest to 31 Mar 2016)

£1,170.85

Reserves

£6,800.00

£7,970.85

Bank Balances less   Allocated Funds and Reserves

£19,039.83 

Payments – January   2017
Westcotec Ltd –   Speed Indicator Device

£3,780.00

RSC Landscapes –   Hedge Trimming

£660.00

Clerk’s Salary

£1,238.31

Clerk’s Expenses

£49.52

Business Services   at CAS – Additional Insurance

£16.21

 

£5,744.04

 

Income – January   2017

NS & I –   Interest

£33.11

 

£33.11

 

Net Balance

£13,328.90

 


 

Appendix III – Correspondence

a)       SC&WDC – Beach Hut Consultation – 17/02/17
b)       SALC – SAAA Announcement of Auditors for 2017-22 – PKF Littlejohn LLP
c)       EDF – Sizewell B Community Newsletter – December 2016
d)       SC&WDC – Development Management Contact List
e)       Suffolk Preservation Society – Heritage Training Event – 14/03/17
f)        The Pensions Regulator – Automatic Enrolment Duties
g)       Community Emergency Plan Steering Group AGM – 17/02/17
h)       Groundwork East Impact Report 2016-17
i)        Safer Neighbourhood Team – Revised Terms of Reference
j)        SPLG – Letter re EDF SZC Stage 2 Consultation
k)       EDF SZC Stage 2 Consultation – Darsham Parish Council Email re National Trust
l)        EDF SZC Stage 2 Consultation – Leiston Town Council’s Draft Response
m)      EDF SZC Stage 2 Consultation – Blythburgh Parish Council’s Draft Response
n)       EDF SZC Stage 2 Consultation – Suffolk Preservation Society’s Response
o)       EDF SZC Stage 2 Consultation – SCC and SCDC’s Response
p)       EDF SZC Stage 2 Consultation – Resident’s Response
q)       EDF SZC Stage 2 Consultation – Darsham Parish Council’s Response
q)       Email from a resident re an overhanging hedge on the junction of A12/Old High Road
r)        Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB – Grant Applications Open
s)       Letter from Essex & Suffolk Water

 

    Add Comment Register

    Leave a Reply