December 2016

MINUTES OF THE YOXFORD PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
HELD IN YOXFORD VILLAGE HALL
ON THURSDAY 1st DECEMBER 2016 AT 7:00 PM
 

  1. 1.               Attendance and Apologies
Attendees:
Cllr. Russell Pearce   – Chair
Cllr. Paul Ashton – Vice Chair
Cllr. John Walford
Cllr. John Sutherell
Cllr. Val Kelsey
Cllr. Ian Shaw
Cllr. Susan Pine
Cllr. Ann Lambert
Cllr. David Childs
Cllr. Stephen Siddall
Apologies   for absence:County Cllr. Michael   Gower  District Cllr. Stephen Burroughes
In attendance:

Sharon Smith – Clerk/RFO
3 members of the public

 

  1. 2.               Declarations of Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary Interests

None received.

  1. 3.               Public Forum

 

a)         Cllr. Michael Gower’s report, previously sent by email, was noted.

b)         A member of the public informed the Council that the hedge from Little Street to the cemetery is overgrown.  There is no pavement therefore pedestrians must walk on the road and their view of traffic is obstructed by the hedge.  When this issue was reported last year, the Council contacted the owner but the hedge was not cut.  The Council noted the resident’s concerns.

 

  1. 4.               Minutes of the Meetings

The minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 3rd November 2016, copies of which had been previously circulated, were proposed by Cllr. Val Kelsey and seconded by Cllr. Susan Pine.  They were approved as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chair.

The minutes of the Extraordinary meeting held on Thursday 17th November 2016, copies of which had been previously circulated, were proposed by Cllr. Ian Shaw and seconded by Cllr. Ann Lambert.  They were approved as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chair.

  1. 5.               Matters Arising

a)         Cllr. Ian Shaw, referring to item 5a, said he was still temporarily storing the Work Party equipment.
ACTION: Council to find a long-term storage solution.

b)         Cllr. Russell Pearce, referring to item 5e, read out two quotes received to cut the cemetery hedges.  It was agreed to accept the cheaper and more detailed quote received from RSC Landscapes Ltd for £535.  Cllr. John Walford asked for removal of the ivy growing on the gates to be added to the quote.  All agreed.  In response to a question from Cllr. Russell Pearce, Cllr. David Childs said James Childs said he was unable to provide a quote for the work as ex-Parish Councillors are prohibited from carrying out work for the Council for four years.
ACTION: Clerk to instruct RSC Landscapes to begin the work as soon as possible and to ascertain the prohibitions relating to contracting with previous Parish Councillors.

c)         The Clerk, referring to item 9, reported that short and long emergency plan templates for Suffolk Coastal are available from the Suffolk Community Emergency Preparedness website.  She has arranged to meet a Councillor from Darsham Parish Council next week to view their emergency plans.
ACTION: Clerk to circulate short and long templates for review.

d)         Cllr. Russell Pearce, referring to item 11b, asked the Councillors if they could agree a suitable date for the SALC training course.  A date in January 2017 was not available for all Councillors therefore a date in February 2017 was suggested.
ACTION: Clerk to check the SALC trainer’s availability in February 2017.

e)         Cllr. Russell Pearce followed up the remaining actions in the minutes and those that were not completed are detailed in Appendix I.

  1. 6.               Councillors’ Meetings and Progress Reports

a)         Yoxwood Constitution/Lease – Cllr. Stephen Siddall reported that it was agreed that the constitution would proceed by way of a Trust which he will draft.  It was noted that the Steering Committee currently have a lease.

b)         Griffin Public House – Cllr. Stephen Siddall reported that the application form to register the pub as a community asset has been completed.  Cllr. Siddall asked Cllr. Russell Pearce (as a long-term resident) and Cllr. John Walford (as an immediate neighbour) to review Part 3 of the application form which sets out the reasons why the pub is considered to be of ‘community value’.  Cllr. Siddall also asked Cllr. Pearce to review the draft letter to the owner of the pub.  Following these reviews, the Clerk will send the form to SCDC and the letter to the owner, who has the right of appeal.

c)         Cemetery – Cllr. John Walford said that an interment had taken place this month.  Cllr. Walford reported that he inspected the cemetery railings and those by the lychgate require painting.  He has received a quote for approximately £25 to buy paint and brushes.  Cllr. Walford said the railings at the main gate and the gate itself require work to remove rust and rub down and he suggested that this is undertaken by the Work Party in the summer.  All agreed.

d)         Village Hall – Cllr. Val Kelsey reported that two licences have been granted to the school for use of the car park.  The first licence is for access though it was noted that there may be problems when the school begins building work.  The second licence is for parking for up to 10 staff cars.  It is now thought that dropping off and picking up pupils within the car park is causing too much damage to the present surface and the large number of cars entering and turning is becoming dangerous to both village hall and school users.  Parents/carers are to be asked to park outside of the car part and escort pupils to the gate.  Cllr. Kelsey also reminded the Council they are serving mulled wine at the Christmas Market and any help will be gratefully received.  The Village Hall committee are also looking for help before and during the event.

e)         Church – Cllr. John Sutherell reported that Suffolk Norse have agreed to the wildflower meadow and volunteers are needed to rake the ground before Christmas.  Cllr. Sutherell also reported that there are plans to improve the little chapel in the corner to make it more usable.

f)          Police – Cllr. John Sutherell said he will respond to the Chief Constable’s letter asking for feedback on the new policing arrangements and asked for any comments to be forwarded to him.  Cllr. Sutherell said the online Crime Map for September 2016 reported no crimes in Yoxford, though there were 3 crimes in Middleton Moor, 2 crimes in Darsham and 1 in Peasenhall.  Cllr. Sutherell said the police will undertake a proactive anti drink driving campaign over Christmas.  Cllr. Ian Shaw reported that the police responded to his report of damage to the notice board to say the perpetrator had owned up.  Cllr. Shaw gave a statement about the extent of damage and the repair costs.

g)         Traffic Task Group – Cllr. Paul Ashton reported that the pothole in Little Street has been fixed.  He has received a commitment from the Highways department to cut back the skirting on the path to Darsham train station and on the B1122 from Yoxford to the level crossing this financial year.  The requested meeting with David Chenery of Highways has been postponed until January 2017.

h)         Village Survey – Cllr. Paul Ashton reported that the meeting for ideas for young residents’ facilities in the village was successful.  An immediate action is to try to open up the tennis courts for use other than tennis such as football, netball, roller skating, etc when the courts are not being used.  A longer term plan is to consider the provision of other ideas such as a skate park, mountain bike track, climbing wall, etc.  It was noted that the Council will need to source land for such activities.  Cllr. Ashton said that the meeting was not truly representative and residents of the village would need to be consulted before committing to any of these projects.  Cllr. Ashton reported he had contacted SCDC with regard to a Digital Skills Workshop they are trialling.  This workshop may meet the requirements of a section of residents who raised concerns about their lack of IT skills.  Cllr. Ashton informed the Council that a meeting to relaunch the Summer Fair is to be held next week and the input and help of residents who previously organised the Fair would be welcome.

i)          Work Party – Cllr. Ian Shaw reported that the Work Party is not well attended and he suggested that the Council publicises this group at the upcoming Christmas Market to try to get others involved.  In response to a query from Cllr. John Walford, Cllr. Shaw confirmed that the Work Party is held on the third Sunday of every month.  Cllr. John Sutherell said this coincided with the Family Service at the church however as the service is at 9:30 am this should not present a problem.  The Clerk informed the Council that the newly purchased Work Party equipment had been added to the insurance policy at no added cost.

  1. 7.               Village

 

a)         The Council noted that the Sizewell C stage 2 public consultation commenced on 23rd November 2016 with a deadline for responses by 3rd February 2017.  The Chairman invited a member of the public to speak.  The resident outlined his concerns about increased traffic in Yoxford if the development goes ahead.  He attended an EDF exhibition and, in his opinion, their preferred option is for all construction and ancillary traffic to converge on a roundabout in Yoxford and to use B1122 as the only road access to the site.  He said EDF’s modelling studies have not considered the congestion that will occur at the junction of the A12 and A1120.  Another member of the public present at the meeting agreed with these concerns.  Cllr. John Walford reported he had attended meetings with TEAGS and SPLG and had studied EDF’s 300 page consultation document which is available online.  He summarised the contents and key changes since the stage 1 consultation and the detrimental impact on Yoxford and adjoining parishes in terms of traffic, accommodation, environment, policing and the community.  Cllr. Walford reported that EDF will hold a number of public exhibitions and TEAGS will tour alongside them with their alternative exhibition.  In response to a question from Cllr. Paul Ashton, Cllr. Walford recommended that a working group is formed to prepare a response to the consultation to EDF with copies sent to Dr Therese Coffey, MP and County Cllr. Michael Gower.  A discussion was held about ways to raise awareness of the consultation among residents.  Cllr. Walford agreed to draft a paper outlining the main concerns for Yoxford and to circulate it to the Council for their approval at an Extraordinary meeting to be held on 8th December 2016.  The paper could then be distributed at the Christmas Market on the 10th and the EDF exhibition in Yoxford on the 19th of this month.  Cllr. Walford will also draft a few lines to be published in the next edition of the Yoxford Yapper.
ACTION: Cllr. John Walford to draft a paper and Chairman to call an Extraordinary meeting.

 

b)         The Council discussed the actions arising from the Village Survey.  It was agreed that Cllr. Paul Ashton would prioritise the important actions and add these to the meeting agendas from January 2017 onwards.  Cllr. Russell Pearce suggested that the important matters were the summer fair, traffic management and facilities for young people.  Cllr. Paul Ashton said he would take the lead on improving the village website.  Cllr. John Sutherell suggested the ramblers group might be willing to monitor the condition of the footpaths and report on any remedial work required.
ACTION: Cllr. Paul Ashton to add specific items to upcoming agendas for discussion.

 

c)         The Council considered purchasing a Speed Indicator Device (SID).  Based on his research, Cllr. Paul Ashton recommended the Council buy the Portable SID from Westcotec Ltd costing £2,800.  This model can display the speed and a ‘Slow Down’ indicator if speed is above a configurable level.  Two extra brackets are also required costing £100 and a data collection module via a cable for £250.  The total package cost is £3,150.  Cllr. Ashton informed the Council he met with the Highways department and agreed three locations in the village to mount the SID.  The device could be mounted to point in both directions.  Cllr. Ashton reminded the Council that a grant for £1,000 had been received from the Leiston and Sizewell Community Fund and £1,000 from County Cllr. Michael Gower’s Locality Budget.  SCC Highways have agreed to cover the costs of erecting the posts.  Cllr. Paul Ashton proposed the Council commit to funding the remaining amount of £1,150.  Cllr. John Sutherell seconded.  All were in favour.
ACTION: Cllr. Paul Ashton to order the SID.

 

d)         Cllr. John Sutherell informed the Council that Flagship Housing are considering options to improve the Yoxwood View play area football pitch and they had asked for the Council’s views on two options.  Following a discussion, it was agreed that importing topsoil and either seeding or laying turf was the preferred method as it will provide a suitable surface for games and can be reseeded in the future.  Laying astroturf was considered to be too expensive initially and will require repairs in the future.
ACTION: Cllr. John Sutherell to inform Flagship.

 

e)         The information to be provided at the Christmas Market was agreed.  Cllr. Paul Ashton is to provide a summary of the results arising from the village survey, Cllr. Ian Shaw is to ask for volunteers to help with the wildflower meadow in the churchyard and with the Council’s Work Party, and Cllr. John Walford is to provide information on the Sizewell C Stage 2 consultation.
ACTION: Cllrs. Ashton, Shaw and Walford to progress.

 

f)          The Council discussed correspondence received about hedge and verge cutting on a lane on Strickland Manor Hill.  The hedges and verges are usually cut in mid-summer but this year it was delayed until late summer.  The hedges became very overgrown and SCDC would not allow their refuse lorries to use the lane to prevent them being scratched.  The resident asked for the Council’s help to raise this matter formally with the District and County Councils to try to change Yoxford’s position on the rota to earlier in the summer.  The Clerk had previously circulated SCDC’s cutting rota and Cllr. Paul Ashton commented that there was only a three week window for cutting in the district therefore changing the position on the rota would not make a difference.  Cllr. Russell Pearce said cutting back the hedge was the responsibility of the owner.  Cllr. John Sutherell agreed to speak to the residents to ascertain how the Parish Council can help with the situation.
ACTION: Cllr. John Sutherell to contact the residents.

 

g)         The Council discussed the missing dog waste bin from Strickland Manor Hill.  The Clerk informed the Council that SCDC removed the bin as it was damaged, possibly due to being hit by a vehicle.  Cllr. Russell Pearce confirmed the bin was owned by the Parish Council therefore he would fit a spare one in its place.
ACTION: Cllr. Russell Pearce to fit spare bin.  Clerk to ask SCDC to return bin if not too badly damaged.

 

h)         The Council considered a request from a resident to provide funding for additional street lighting at Elmsley Way if Flagship Housing convert a block of garages into parking spaces.  It was agreed that the cost of street lighting was beyond the remit of the Parish Council.
ACTION: Clerk to inform the resident.

The Chair stopped the meeting at 9:00 pm to seek approval from the Council for a 15 minute extension to continue the meeting.  All agreed to the extension and the meeting resumed.

  1. 8.               Finance

a)         The Council noted the latest financial position detailed in Appendix II.

b)         The Council agreed to increase the Clerk’s hourly pay rate in line with the standard National Joint Council’s salary scales for all local government staff.  The Clerk will remain on SCP 18 with a new hourly rate of £9.299 payable from 1 April 2016.
ACTION: Clerk to calculate backdated salary owed and add to next month’s agenda.

c)         The Council authorised the following payments en bloc.  Proposed by Cllr. John Walford.  Seconded by Cllr. Ann Lambert.  All in favour.

 

Details Payee Amount Power
Grass Cutting (invoice   4217) RSC Landscapes Ltd £300.00 LGA 1972 s.111
Donation – Xmas Fayre   Mulled Wine Val Kelsey £43.82 LGA 1972 s. 137
Membership Fee SPLG £30.00 LGA 1972 s. 111
Share of Clerk’s   Training – CiLCA SALC £200.63 LGA 1972 s. 111

 

  1. 9.               Administration

Following a minor correction, the Council agreed the meeting dates for 2017 detailed in Appendix III.
ACTION: Clerk to upload to website.

  1. 10.            Correspondence

The Councillors noted the correspondence received between 30th October 2016 and 26th November 2016 detailed in Appendix IV.

  1. 11.            Questions to the Chair

None.

 

  1. 12.            Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Parish Council will be held on 5th January 2017 at 7:00 pm in the Village Hall.

The meeting closed at 9:15 pm.

 

 

Appendix I – Outstanding Actions

Meeting Date

Item Ref

Action

Responsibility

Comments

3rd November 2016 5b Once   completed, the burial chart is to be scanned or photographed and saved as a   PDF. Cllr. John Walford Ongoing.

 

 

 

Appendix II – Financial Position

Bank Balances
HSBC Community   Account as at 4 November 2016

£7,589.12

N S & I Investment   Account as at 4 November 2016

£10,714.78

United Trust Bank   as at 4 November 2016

£6,801.22

£25,105.12

Allocated Funds and   Reserves
SMH Play Area   (including interest to 31 Mar 2016)

£1,170.85

Speed Indicator   Device

£2,000.00

Reserves

£6,800.00

£9,970.85

Bank Balances less   Allocated Funds and Reserves

£15,134.27 

Income –   November/December 2016
Leiston &   Sizewell Community Fund – SID

£1,000.00

Cemetery –   Interment

£150.00

£1,150.00

Payments –   November/December 2016
Cllr. Ian Shaw –   Work Party Equipment

£169.99

RSC Landscapes Ltd   – Grass Cutting

£300.00

SPLG – Membership   Fee

£30.00

SALC – Share of   Clerk’s CiLCA Training

£200.63

£700.62

Net Balance

£15,583.65

 

 

 


 

Appendix III – Meeting Dates 2017

 

Thursday 5th January 2017

Thursday 2nd February 2017

Thursday 2nd March 2017

Thursday 6th April 2017 – Annual Parish Meeting

Thursday 4th May 2017 – Annual Meeting

Thursday 1st June 2017

Thursday 6th July 2017

Thursday 3rd August 2017

Thursday 7th September 2017

Thursday 5th October 2017

Thursday 2nd November 2017

Thursday 7th December 2017


 

Appendix IV – Correspondence

a)       SALC – Payroll and Internal Audit services 2017
b)       SALC – response to automatic precept referendum consultation
c)       SCC Public Health and Protection – NHS Health Checks poster
d)       Suffolk Community Foundation – Suffolk Rural Fund
e)       SALC – LAIS 1394 Neighbourhood Planning Bill
f)        SALC – Event Planning Workshop – 29/11/16
g)       SALC – AGM information
h)       Greenprint Forum newsletter and invitation – 19/11/16
i)        SALC – NJC salary pay scales 2016-2018
j)        Yoxwood Steering Committee’s reply to SCC’s Locality Budget letter
k)       EDF Energy – Sizewell B Community Newsletter – October 2016
l)        Waveney District Council – new ‘Super District Council’ survey
m)      EDF Energy – next SZC Community Forum date announced soon
n)       Suffolk Constabulary – Local Policing Review
o)       SALC – Lobbying: Allowances survey
p)       SCDC Emergency Planning Officer – UK Power Network and Winter Preparedness links
q)       Email from a resident regarding EDF Energy’s Stage 2 Consultation on Sizewell C
r)        SC&WDC – briefing document regarding the proposed merger
s)       SALC – indicative subscription 2017/18

 

    Add Comment Register

    Leave a Reply