November 2016

MINUTES OF THE YOXFORD PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
HELD IN YOXFORD VILLAGE HALL
ON THURSDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2016 AT 7:00 PM

 

  1. 1.               Attendance and Apologies
Attendees:
Cllr. Russell Pearce   – Chair
Cllr. John Walford
Cllr. John Sutherell
Cllr. Val Kelsey
Cllr. Ian Shaw
Cllr. Susan Pine
Cllr. Ann Lambert
Cllr. David Childs
Apologies   for absence:Cllr. Paul Ashton –   written apology received and accepted
Cllr. Stephen Siddall – written apology received and accepted 

In   attendance:

County Cllr. Michael   Gower
District Cllr. Stephen Burroughes
Sharon Smith – Clerk/RFO

 

The resignation of Cllr. Clive Connolly was noted.
ACTION: Clerk to notify the Returning Officer at SCDC to initiate the process of filling the vacancy.  Clerk to write to Cllr. Clive Connolly to thank him for his many years of service and valued contribution to the Parish Council.

 

  1. 2.               Declarations of Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary Interests

None received.

  1. 3.               Public Forum

a)         County Cllr. Michael Gower said the devolution vote will be on 23rd November and he will report back at the next meeting.  Cllr. Gower said he was pleased to grant £650 towards the Yoxwood eco-toilet which will be helpful for visitors and allotment holders.  Cllr. Gower said the estimate for double yellow lines at three locations in the village is £6,000 and the scheme will probably be given the go-ahead.  Cllr. Gower reported that he attended the latest SPLG meeting.  Tom McGarry, Head of Sizewell C Communications, spoke at the meeting but had no information about the start date of the Stage 2 consultation.

b)         The Clerk advised that District Cllr. Stephen Burroughes would be late due to his attendance at another meeting.  Cllr. Burroughes report was previously circulated.

  1. 4.               Minutes of the Meeting held on Thursday 6th October 2016

The minutes of the meeting, copies of which had been previously circulated, were proposed by Cllr. John Sutherell and seconded by Cllr. Val Kelsey.  They were approved as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chair.

  1. 5.               Matters Arising

a)         Cllr. Ian Shaw, referring to item 6a, said he purchased the remaining piece of work party equipment costing £169.99.  Following a discussion, Cllr. John Walford agreed to store all the work party equipment.
ACTION: Cllr. Ian Shaw to give the equipment to Cllr. John Walford.

b)         Cllr. Russell Pearce, referring to item 6d, said Halesworth printers could only photocopy the burial chart and were unable to provide a PDF.  Cllr. David Childs offered an alternative scanning option.
ACTION: Cllr. David Childs to liaise with Cllr. John Walford.

c)         Cllr. John Sutherell, referring to item 9d, said he inspected the fields either side of the cemetery and, in his opinion, their condition was fair and it was likely the owner had left the land to lie fallow.  It was agreed to focus on improving the entrance to the cemetery at this time.

d)         The Clerk, referring to item 13c, said she had been unable to obtain an extension to the District Council’s ‘Call For Sites’ deadline.  The Councillors discussed the sites previously submitted and whether they were still suitable for development and included on the District Council’s plan for consideration.  Cllr. Michael Gower said there would be no change to the village boundaries for future development.

e)         Cllr. Russell Pearce, referring to items 9d and 4c, said he inspected the cemetery gates and railings.  He has made a new drop bolt and a longer latch for the gate which will be affixed soon.  It was agreed the work party will paint the railings.  Cllr. John Walford will research costs of external metal paint and brushes and report back at the next meeting.  Cllr. Russell Pearce also inspected the cemetery hedges and said they need cutting back.  It was agreed to obtain quotes for this work from James Childs, Roger Pearce and RSC Landscapes Ltd.
ACTION: Cllr. Russell Pearce to repair gates and speak to Roger Pearce, Cllr. John Walford to research costs for paint and equipment, Cllr. David Childs to speak to James Childs and the Clerk to contact RSC Landscapes.

f)          Cllr. Val Kelsey, referring to item 8c, reported Horners Stores had quoted approximately £40 for the mulled wine to be served at the Village Hall Christmas Fair.  Cllr. Kelsey to bring receipts to next month’s meeting.

  1. 6.               Councillors’ Meetings and Progress Reports

a)         Yoxwood – Cllr. Susan Pine, on behalf of Yoxwood Steering Committee, offered heartfelt thanks to Cllr. Michael Gower for his generous donation towards the eco-toilet.  Cllr. David Childs reported that donations and grants towards the project were slowly coming in and they hoped to install the eco-toilet next spring.  Cllr. Russell Pearce offered the use of his digger.

b)         Yoxwood Lease and Constitution – Cllr. Stephen Siddall to report progress at the next meeting.

c)         Griffin Public House – Cllr. Russell Pearce read out a report received from Cllr. Stephen Siddall.  The application form to register the Griffin as a community asset has been completed and will be circulated to the Councillors for their comments.  Cllr. Siddall has not yet drafted a letter to send to the freeholder of the property but said the pressure was off as a new lease appears to have been granted to new tenants.  This was confirmed by Cllr. John Walford.  As suggested by Cllr. Stephen Siddall, it was agreed Cllr. Russell Pearce, as Chairman, would sign the letter to the freeholder and the Clerk would sign the application form on behalf of the Council.

d)         Sizewell C – Cllr. John Walford reported talks are ongoing but nothing has been signed by the government yet.  Cllr. Walford said the government agreement to go ahead with Hinkley Point C was conditional on the Flamanville nuclear power plant being operational within 4 years and, if not, then the contracts with EDF Energy would be null and void.  The Stage 2 public consultation on Sizewell C has not yet been announced.

e)         Cemetery – Cllr. John Walford reported he has been cutting back the ivy on the entrance gates fortnightly.  Cllr. Walford said the bins were not only being emptied by dog walkers but also by visitors to the cemetery, allotments and Yoxwood.  Cllr. Walford has displayed the burial chart in an empty shop window in the High Street for 3 weeks and he hopes to finalise the chart by the end of the month.  Cllr. Walford said many designs had been considered for a plaque to mark the burial of the Hope House orphans.  A final design of a 6 foot high steel cross mounted on a brick base had been agreed with the owner of Hope House who is providing finance.  Volunteers have come forward to install the cross.  In response to a question from Cllr. John Sutherell, Cllr. Walford explained the location of the boundary between the consecrated and unconsecrated ground and that 90% of burials were requested in consecrated ground.  Cllr. Sutherell said he was still looking into the process to consecrate further ground.

f)          Village Hall – Cllr. Val Kelsey reminded the Councillors of various upcoming dates for Village Hall events.  In response to a plea from Cllr. Kelsey, Cllrs. Shaw, Sutherell and Lambert agreed to help with serving mulled wine at the Christmas Fair.  Cllr. Ian Shaw said consideration needs to be given to the information to be offered at the stall.  It was agreed to discuss this at next month’s meeting.  Cllr. Kelsey also asked for volunteers to help decorate the hall for the Christmas Fair.  There is a poster in Horners Stores giving details of the ticket sellers for the next Yox Rox disco.
ACTION: Clerk to add to next month’s agenda.

g)         Churchyard – Cllr. John Sutherell reported a large amount of lead had been stolen from Great Glemham’s church roof.  He said this happened at Yoxford 3 or 4 years ago but the roof has an alarm now.  Cllr. Sutherell reported the last grass cut has been done and he and Cllr. Ian Shaw are meeting with the contractors next week to agree a memorandum of understanding of which areas to mow and which areas to leave uncut to allow wildflowers to grow.  Volunteers will then be needed to prepare the wildflower area.  Cllr. Sutherell said the Crib Festival will be on 17th December.

e)         Police – Cllr. John Sutherell reported he attended the quarterly Locality meeting for Councillors arranged by the Halesworth Locality Inspector.  He said it was a good meeting and the team are eager to engage with the local community.  Cllr. Sutherell reported the police said the biggest issue for most villages was traffic and they are keen to support the Neighbourhood Speed Watch teams.  Cllr. Sutherell said that any information provided to the police from the Speed Indicator Device will be followed up.  Cllr. Sutherell asked the police if they could provide more feedback on cases, particularly when they have successes.

f)          Yoxwood View – Cllr. John Sutherell to report progress at next month’s meeting.

g)         Traffic Task Group – the Clerk read out a report received from Cllr. Paul Ashton.  Application forms have been completed for each site where the Speed Indicator Device (‘SID’) is to be located and have been sent to Nigel Panting, the Highways contractor.  Cllr. Ashton has contacted Westcotec about buying a SID and the estimated cost is £2,900 but he is yet to receive a firm quote.  Cllr. Ashton further reported he has checked that all the Highways and pavement issues have been raised on the Highways reporting tool.  He also plans to inspect the village for any further potholes and report them.  He has asked David Chenery of Highways for his availability for the traffic calming meeting discussed with Cllr. Michael Gower at the last meeting and for an update on the double yellow lines consultation carried out earlier this year.  The Clerk reported the Leiston and Sizewell Community Fund has generously granted £1,000 towards the purchase of the SID.

h)         Village Survey – the Clerk read out a report received from Cllr. Paul Ashton.  Village meetings have been arranged for 23rd November to generate ideas for projects for 12-18 year olds and on 7th December to relaunch the Summer Fair.  Cllr. Val Kelsey said there was a Village Hall meeting scheduled that night and she will let Cllr. Ashton know.  Information about both meetings will be in the November edition of the Yoxford Yapper and Cllr. Ashton will publicise them further on his return from holiday.  Cllr. Russell Pearce reminded the Councillors that Cllr. Ashton had asked for feedback about the action list he circulated before the last meeting.  Cllr. Ian Shaw suggested the actions should be discussed at the next meeting and the Council could decide which to take forward.  Cllr. John Sutherell replied Cllr. Ashton would like Councillors to review the action list and prioritise the actions they would like to take a lead on and these could then be discussed at future meetings.

  1. 7.               Public Forum Resumed

District Cllr. Stephen Burroughes arrived and apologised to the Chair for being late.  Cllr. Burroughes reported he had not yet received a response from Philip Ridley, Head of Planning Services, regarding the Hopkins Homes case.  Cllr. Burroughes said the merger of Suffolk Coastal and Waveney District Councils was moving forward and would bring great savings and shared expertise.  Cllr. John Sutherell thanked Cllr. Burroughes for his help with managing relations with Suffolk Norse with regard to the wildflower area in the churchyard.  In response to a question, Cllr. Burroughes confirmed the latest ‘Call for Sites’ was only for additional sites to those proposed previously.

  1. 8.               Planning

 

a)         Planning application DC/16/3936/TCA – Blenheim House, High Street – to reduce and pollard four trees.  Cllr. Ian Shaw, as Tree Warden, explained he had been unable to inspect these trees as they back on to woodland and are not visible.  He said the proposed works appear reasonable and he had no reason to object.

b)         Planning application DC/16/4141/FUL – The Moorings, High Street – addition of wooden cladding to the external walls of the south and east elevations of the building to be painted grey.  Addition of new front porch.  Removal of existing windows to the front and east elevations and replacement windows installed.  Addition of a single storey rear extension 5m x 4m with fully glazed gable end.

The Council agreed to support the applications en bloc.  Proposed by Cllr. Ian Shaw.  Seconded by Cllr. Russell Pearce.  All in favour.
ACTION: Clerk to inform the Planning department

  1. 9.               Emergency Plan

 

The Council discussed whether a plan was needed for the village for emergencies arising from, for example, heavy snowfall, flooding, a power outage or a radiation escape from Sizewell.  It was noted the District and County Councils have overall responsibility for emergency planning however action could be taken locally to assist in emergencies.  It was agreed to look into developing a high-level plan, beginning with reviewing emergency plans drawn up by other local parish councils which could be adapted for Yoxford.
ACTION: Clerk to research local emergency plans.

 

  1. 10.            Finance

a)         The Council noted the latest financial position detailed in Appendix I.

b)         The Council approved the bank reconciliation as at 30 September 2016 and it was signed by the Chair and the RFO.

c)         The Council approved the budget for the financial year 2017/2018

d)         The Council authorised the following payments en bloc.  Proposed by Cllr. Val Kelsey.  Seconded by Cllr. David Childs.  All in favour.

Details Payee Amount Power
Grass Cutting (invoice   4201) RSC Landscapes Ltd £300.00 LGA 1972 s.111
Clerk’s Salary Sharon Smith £1,196.91 LGA 1972 s.112
Clerk’s Expenses Sharon Smith £94.96 LGA 1972 s. 111
Donation Citizens’ Advice Bureau £100.00 LGA 1972 s. 137

 

The Chair stopped the meeting at 9:00 pm to seek approval from the Council for a 15 minute extension to continue the meeting.  All agreed to the extension and the meeting resumed.

  1. 11.            Administration

a)         The Council reviewed the charges stated in the Model Publication Scheme prepared by the Clerk.  For requests to be answered by post, it was agreed to charge £20 per hour for the Clerk’s time, plus 10p per black and white sheet and for postage and packaging.

b)         The Council agreed to book a day’s training course of core subjects with SALC.  To be scheduled after Christmas and costs to be shared with other local parish councils if possible.
ACTION: Clerk to arrange.

  1. 12.            Correspondence

The Councillors noted the correspondence received between 1st October 2016 and 29th October 2016 detailed in Appendix II.

 

  1. 13.            Questions to the Chair

 

Cllr. Ann Lambert asked the Chair if he was aware that the District Council proposed to remove the two public payphones in the village.  The Clerk circulated correspondence received from the District Council asking if the Parish Council objected or supported this proposal and whether they wished to purchase the kiosks for £1 each.  Cllr. Ian Shaw offered to look into the matter and report back.  The deadline for responding to the District Council is before the next meeting.

ACTION: Cllr. Russell Pearce to call an Extraordinary Meeting.

 

  1. 14.            Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Parish Council will be held on 1st December 2016 at 7:00 pm in the Village Hall.

The meeting closed at 9:15 pm.

 

Appendix I – Financial Position

Bank Balances
HSBC Community   Account as at 7 October 2016

£8,944.68

N S & I Investment   Account as at 7 October 2016

£10,714.78

United Trust Bank   as at 7 October 2016

£6,801.22

£26,460.68

Allocated Funds and   Reserves
SMH Play Area   (including interest to 31 Mar 2016)

£1,170.85

Speed Indicator   Device

£2,000.00

Reserves

£6,800.00

Work Party   Equipment

£120.94

£10,091.79

Bank Balances less   Allocated Funds and Reserves

£16,368.89 

Income –   October/November 2016
VAT reclaim

£387.26

Transparency Code   Fund

£268.85

£656.11

Payments –   October/November 2016
JB Tree Services

£320.00

Grass Cutting

£300.00

Clerk’s Salary

£1,196.91

Clerk’s Expenses

£94.96

Donation – Citizens   Advice Bureau

£100.00

£2,011.87

Net Balance

£15,013.13

 

 

 

 


 

Appendix II – Correspondence

a)         SALC AGM – 14/11/16.
b)       SALC Newsletter and Website of the Year – deadline 31/10/16.
c)       Village Hall – vacancy for a cleaner.
d)       EDF – Sizewell B Community Newsletter – August/September 2016.
e)       SCC Trading Standards – rogue trader reported.
f)        Suffolk Constabulary Newsletter – October 2016.
g)       SALC – Awards Survey – deadline 11/11/16.
h)       Village Hall AGM – 16/11/16.
i)        SCC – Highways Matter Newsletter – Edition 9.
j)        Suffolk Coastal and Waveney – Rural Housing Conference – 24/11/16.
k)       SALC Annual Report 2015/16.
l)        SALC – Action Plans and Business Plans – new course.
m)      Suffolk Coastal and Waveney – creating an East Suffolk Council proposal.
n)       Suffolk Prepared Newsletter – September 2016.
o)       SCDC – Invitation to the Annual Town & Parish Council Budget Liaison Event – 28/11/16.
p)       SCC – email from County Cllr. Michael Gower regarding outstanding Highways issues.
q)       Suffolk Coastal – Site Allocations and Area Specific Policies Development Plan Document –     proposed main modifications.

 

    Add Comment Register

    Leave a Reply