September 2016

 MINUTES OF THE YOXFORD PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD IN YOXFORD VILLAGE HALL

ON THURSDAY 1st SEPTEMBER 2016 AT 7:30 PM

 

 

1.         Attendance and Apologies                                                                                                      

 

Attendees:Cllr.   Russell Pearce – ChairCllr.   Paul Ashton – Vice Chair
Cllr. John Sutherell

Cllr.   Clive Connolly

Cllr.   David Childs

Cllr.   Val Kelsey

Cllr.   Ian Shaw

 

Apologies for   absence:Cllr.   Stephen Siddall – this was written and accepted.Cllr.   John Walford – this was written and accepted.
District Cllr. Stephen Burroughes
In attendance:

Sharon   Smith – Clerk/RFO

County   Cllr. Michael Gower

3   members of the public

 

2.         Declarations of Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary Interest and Dispensations

 

Cllr. Russell Pearce declared a non-pecuniary interest in item 4 as he is a relative of the applicant.

3.         Public Forum

 

a)         At a member of the public’s request, the Chair agreed to allow her to speak during item 8a.

 

b)         County Cllr. Michael Gower reported that the public consultation period on the Devolution Deal was now closed.  Discussions are ongoing and a decision will be reached in October.  Cllr. Gower also spoke about Sizewell C which may not go ahead now economic reality has hit home.  However, he is urging the Sizewell Parishes Liaison Group to continue finding out what the public want so that if Sizewell C does go ahead all this hard work and energy will be captured to campaign for an alternative construction traffic route, local benefits for the communities and no campus sited at Eastbridge.

 

c)         District Cllr. Stephen Burroughes was not in attendance but will send a report next week.
ACTION: Clerk to circulate Cllr. Burroughes report.

 

4.         Councillor Vacancy

 

Cllr. Val Kelsey proposed that Ann Lambert be co-opted to fill the Council’s casual vacancy.  Cllr. Ian Shaw seconded.  All were in favour except Cllr. Russell Pearce who had previously declared an interest in this item.  Ann Lambert completed the Declaration of Acceptance of Office Form.  The Clerk signed as witness.
ACTION: Clerk to inform SCDC of Ann Lambert’s appointment.

 

5.         Minutes of the Meeting held on Thursday 4th August 2016

 

The minutes of the meeting, copies of which had been previously circulated, were proposed by Cllr. John Sutherell and seconded by Cllr. Val Kelsey.  They were approved as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chair.  Cllr. David Childs abstained from the vote as he was absent from the August meeting.

 

6.         Matters Arising

 

a)         Cllr. Paul Ashton, referring to item 5b, said he had not yet sent an email to County Cllr. James Finch.

 

b)         Cllr. John Sutherell, referring to item 9a, reported that a letter of apology had been received from the grass cutter and the matter was now closed.
ACTION: Clerk to circulate an email received from the grass cutter.

 

c)         The Clerk, referring to item 9c, reported that an application for funding for a VAS had not yet been submitted as the make and model of VAS is required.  Cllr. Paul Ashton is researching which VAS to buy.
ACTION: Cllr. Paul Ashton and the Clerk to progress.

 

d)         Cllr. Ian Shaw, referring to item 9f, reported that a date had not yet been set by Will Kitchener to meet with Jon Hunt.

 

e)         Cllr. Ian Shaw, referring to item 5c, reported that £300 had been received from County Cllr. Michael Gower and he would buy the work party equipment as agreed.
ACTION: Cllr. Ian Shaw to progress.

 

f)          Cllr. Ian Shaw, referring to item 8av, reported that he had contacted Suffolk Wildlife Trust and arranged a meeting in the churchyard in September.
ACTION: Cllr. Ian Shaw to progress.

 

g)         Cllr. Ian Shaw, referring to item 10b, reported that SCDC’s planning department informed him that prior permission is not required to cut trees if they are in contact with a building.

h)         Cllr. Russell Pearce followed up the remaining actions in the minutes and those that were not completed are detailed in Appendix I.

 

  1. 7.         Councillors

 

Reports were received regarding:

 

a)         Yoxwood – Cllr. David Childs reported that funding for the eco-toilet has almost been raised and the proposed site for the eco-toilet has been changed.

 

b)         Village Hall – Cllr. Val Kelsey reported that the next monthly market, along with a car boot sale, will be held on Saturday 10th September and asked the Councillors to encourage support for this event.  Cllr. Kelsey further reported that the car park has been repaired and reserved notices for the Village Hall and disabled parking are being placed along the side of the building.  Planning permission may be required for parking in the top corner of the site.  Cllr. Kelsey informed the Council that the next work party will be held on Saturday 24th November at 10 am if anyone is able to help.  Cllr. Kelsey concluded by informing the Council of the following dates: AGM on 16th November, Yox Rox disco on 19th November and Christmas Fair on 10th December.

 

d)         Churchyard – Cllr. John Sutherell reported that another cut of the grass had been done and Cllr. Ian Shaw was helping to source expertise for the wild flower meadow.  Cllr. Sutherell further reported that a family service for the whole Benefice would be held on the third Sunday of every month and this may be held at St Peter’s Church, Yoxford.
e)         Police – Cllr. John Sutherell reported that a series of meetings are being held by Suffolk Constabulary and he will attend one of them.  In terms of crime, Cllr. Sutherell reported that the investigation into the vandalism at Mulberry Park was closed as there was no evidence against any individual.  Other reported crimes were an assault in Middleton on Yoxford Road and a theft on Strickland Manor Hill.  There has since been the incident of vandalism to the Parish Council notice board, the Cricket Club land and the Bowls Club.  Cllr. Sutherell concluded by reporting that the Suffolk Constabulary website has been improved.

 

f)          Yoxwood View – Cllr. John Sutherell reported that he been in contact with Carla Ridgeway of Flagship Housing and David Holt of Grass Solutions.  They are aware of the problems and were arranging to meet on site to review the situation.

 

g)         Traffic Task Group – Cllr. Paul Ashton reported that he raised the previously identified issues using SCC’s online reporting tool.  Cllr. Ashton further reported that the advertisement for more volunteers to join the Community Speed Watch team was in this month’s Yoxford Yapper.
h)         Village Survey – Cllr. Paul Ashton said that progress was ongoing.

 

8.         Village

 

a)         A resident asked the Parish Council to support the action to register the Griffin Public House as a village asset with SCDC.  If an asset is listed and it comes up for sale the registration gives the community the right to put together a bid to buy it within 6 weeks and to delay the sale for 6 months.  The resident reported that the Brewers Association advised her to register the asset even when there is no risk of it being sold.  The Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) organisation provided the resident with a template application which she will begin completing and will pass round for comments.  There is a need to demonstrate that the current use of the asset contributes to the social wellbeing of the community and that this will continue.  The application can either be submitted to SCDC with 21 signatures from the public or by the Parish Council.  Following a discussion, it was agreed that, as the community raised the concern and requested Parish Council support, the Parish Council will submit the application.
ACTION: Clerk to add to next month’s agenda for an update.

 

b)         Cllr. Val Kelsey informed the Council that the recent vandalism to the Parish Council notice board has been reported to the police.  The crime incident reference number is 375064216.  Cllr. Kelsey proposed that a new notice board should be purchased.  Cllr. John Sutherell said that only a ‘like-for-like’ notice board would be permitted on church land.  Cllr. Ian Shaw and Cllr. Paul Ashton thought that the notice board was still repairable and this should be tried first.  Cllr. Val Kelsey proposed that the agreed amount for repairs should be increased to £100.  Cllr. Paul Ashton seconded.  All were in favour.
ACTION: Cllrs. Shaw and Ashton to buy materials and repair the notice board.

c)         Cllr. David Childs informed the Council that a fireworks event will be organised by a resident as usual in November 2016.  The Council discussed the problem the resident faced with refuse left on Donkey Meadow for the bonfire.  Cllr. David Childs said that only a small bonfire would be permitted this year to try to avoid this problem.

 

9.         Planning Application

 

Planning Application DC/16/3460/TCA – to re-pollard 3 horse chestnut trees by drive to Hope House.  The Council agreed to support this application.  Cllr. Val Kelsey proposed and Cllr. David Childs seconded.  All were in favour.

ACTION: Clerk to inform the planning department.
10.       Annual Return 2015/2016
a)         The Council accepted the external auditor’s Certificate and approved the Annual Return.

b)         The Council noted the external auditor’s issues arising report.  The Clerk explained that the figures on the Annual Return were correct and rounded figures had resulted in the £1 differences.  The Clerk contacted the external auditor who advised that the final amounts for payments or receipts should be manually adjusted to ensure there are no rounding errors.   The external auditor further advised the Clerk to amend the figures for this year on next year’s Annual Return with the words ‘restated’.  The remaining issue arising relating to numbering the minutes consecutively and the Chair initialling each page has been carried out since the beginning of this year.

11.       Insurance
The Council reviewed the sums insured on the asset register.  It was agreed to increase the insurance cover on several items and to insure some new and old items which were not previously covered.  Cllr. Ian Shaw noted that the play equipment has been removed from Mulberry Park therefore it no longer needed insurance cover.  It was also agreed to remove the two items of equipment purchased for the Bowls Club as these were not Parish Council assets.  Cllr. Paul Ashton informed the Clerk that the speedgun was held by the Traffic Task Group.  Cllr. Ian Shaw asked for the filing cabinet in the village hall to be included on the asset register; this would be included in the Office Equipment insurance cover.  Acceptance of the Parish Council insurance renewal quotation received from CAS was deferred until a revised quotation is received.

ACTION: Clerk to amend the asset register and ask the insurance company for a revised quotation.

12.       Finance

 

a)         The Council noted the latest financial position detailed in Appendix II. 

 

b)         The Clerk asked the Council to agree to pay a share of the cost for her to undertake the CiLCA qualification.  Cllr. John Sutherell proposed to pay £200.63 towards the cost.  Seconded by Cllr. David Childs.  All were in favour.  This amount represents a third of the cost based on a precept ratio as the cost will be shared with two other Councils.

 

c)         The Council authorised the following payments.  Proposed by Cllr. John Sutherell.  Seconded by Cllr. David Childs.  All were in favour.

 

Details Payee Amount Power
External   Audit Fee BDO £120.00 LGA   1972 s.111
Cemetery   Water Charges Essex   & Suffolk Water £41.56 LGA   1972 s.111
Grass   Cutting (invoice 4082) RSC   Landscapes Ltd £300.00 LGA   1972 s.111

 

13.       Correspondence

 

The Councillors noted the correspondence received between 31st July 2016 and 25th August 2016, detailed in Appendix III.

 

Cllr. Paul Ashton said he would attend to the correspondence received from CAS with regard to the Good Neighbours Scheme and liaise with Cllr. Ann Lambert if necessary.

 

Cllr. John Sutherell said he may attend the East Suffolk Partnership Annual Forum and one of the Suffolk Constabulary PCC & Chief Constable public meetings.

 

Cllr. Ian Shaw said he may attend the SALC Suffolk Coastal Area Meeting.

 

Cllr. Val Kelsey reminded the Clerk that the poster displayed on the notice board formed part of the correspondence.  The poster advertised Dr Therese Coffey’s visit to Yoxford on 2nd September 2016 from 10:30 am to 10:40 am at Horner’s Store.  A number of Councillors said they would meet her.

 

14.       Questions to the Chair

 

Cllr. Ian Shaw asked if the Chair was aware that approval from SCDC had been received to prune the trees in Mulberry Park.  Cllr. Shaw contacted the tree surgeon for a date for the work to begin but this has not yet been received.
ACTION: Cllr. Ian Shaw to inform all Councillors of this date once received.

 

15.       Date and Time of Next Meeting

 

The date and time of the next meeting of the Parish Council is scheduled for Thursday 6th October 2016 at 7:00 pm.

 

The meeting closed at 8.25 pm.


 

Appendix I – Outstanding Actions

 

Meeting   Date

Item Ref

Action

Responsibility

Comments

07/04/16 7b Research costs for a memorial plaque for Hope   House orphans. Cllr. John Walford Ongoing.
07/07/16 7a Research costs for a playpark sign. Clerk Ongoing.
04/08/16  5d Add to the agenda – to consider fencing off   the piece of land between the cricket club and Old High Road. Clerk Ongoing.
04/08/16  7 To ask the Chairman of Yoxwood Steering Group   to confirm receipt of the insurance policy documents and to ascertain whether   a risk assessment has been conducted. Clerk. Ongoing.
04/08/16  8b Add to the agenda – to book a Councillors’   tailored training course. Clerk Postponed until the Parish Council vacancies   are filled by co-option.
04/08/16 11c To ascertain the cost to copy and post the   burial chart. Clerk. Ongoing

 

 

 

 

 

Appendix II – Financial Position

 

Bank Balances
HSBC Community Account as at 5 August 2016

£2,896.78

N S & I Investment Account as at 5 August 2016

£10,714.78

United Trust Bank as at 26 July 2016

£6,800.00

£20,411.56

Allocated Funds and Reserves
SMH Play Area (including interest to 31 Mar 2016)

£1,170.85

Vehicle Activated Sign

£2,000.00

Reserves

£6,800.00

£9,970.85

Bank Balances less Allocated Funds and Reserves

£10,440.71

Income – July to September 2016
United Trust Bank interest to 29 July 2016

£1.22

SCC Grant for Work Party Equipment

£300.00

Cemetery Fees

£400.00

£701.22

Payments – September 2016
BDO – External Audit Fee

£120.00

Essex & Suffolk Water – Cemetery Water Charges

£41.56

RSC Landscapes – Grass Cutting

£300.00

£461.56

Net Balance

£10,680.37

 

 

 


 

Appendix III – Correspondence

a)         Letter from EDF Energy’s CEO re nuclear new build.
b)         Groundwork East – Thriving Community Buildings project.
c)         SC&WDC – Neighbourhood Planning Networking Events.
d)         CAS – award nominations.
e)         Highways Matters – Edition 8.
f)          EDF – Sizewell B community newsletter – July 2016.
g)         Local Council EXPO – Birmingham 09/09/16.
h)         Suffolk Constabulary – PCC & Chief Constable Public Meetings 2016.
i)          East Suffolk Youth Priority Action Group – funding for holiday activities.
j)          Yoxford Open Gardens Report 2016.
k)         East Suffolk Partnership Annual Forum – Bucklesham 11/11/16.
l)          CAS – Good Neighbours Scheme – response required.
m)        Fit Villages of Suffolk Sport – Celebrate England Fund.
n)         SALC – Suffolk Coastal Area Meeting – 19/09/16.
o)         Resident’s complaint about smoke nuisance.
p)         SCC – Roadside Nature Reserve – September cuts.
q)         Wel Medical – Public Access Defibrillator Guardian Vigilance System

    Add Comment Register

    Leave a Reply